What Size Cakes Do You Use, How High For Each Layer?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 6

There are so many ways to make a tiered cake... I'm just wondering what you all like to do. Do you like 2" between tiers (12", 10", 8") or 4" between tiers (14", 10", 6")? What do you think looks better? Also, what cake to filling ratio do you use? Most the time I use 3 - 1" cake layers with two layers of filling. Therefore the finished cake comes out to 4" high. I'm just curious what everyone else likes to do. Thanks!

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 6

I really depends on the design/look you are going for. I really like the look of 2" difference between tiers. Sometimes I make the bottom tier a 3" difference and the rest is 2".

As for the layers, usually I have 1" layer of cakes and alternate fillings. My tiers averages of 4"-5" in height

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 6

I use 2 inch pans so once I level them the layers are about 1.5 - 1.75 inches. So my tiers end up being between 4 and 4.5 inches tall. I have, at times, made 3 layers so it came up to 5 inches tall.

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 6

I find that I like the look of 10",8" and 6" tiers.
I use 2" high pans and stack 3 of them on each tier.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:19am
post #5 of 6

4" high is the standard height for a cake, no matter what the internal layers are to acheive this height.

2", 3" and 4" tier difference all work. I, personally, prefer the 3" difference unless I'm going to have a lot of flowers around the bottom of a tier/ontop of the tier below, then I go with the 4" difference. I don't really care for the 2" difference as that only leaves 1" around each tier. Unless you use a very delicate border, this can become filled in with icing very easily, causing the cake to have more of a ^ shape, which I do not care for.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 6

I just made a two tier cake 8" and 6" rounds. I baked enough to make the tiers 4" high, but when I went to assemble it, I found that it just didn't look right, so I went with 3" high tiers instead. So, I don't necessarily agree that 4" high is standard; maybe 3 or 3.5" high though, or perhaps it just depends on what type of look you're going for. Thanks for all the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%