Perfectly Iced Cake Rounds

Decorating By cakefort Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 10:46am by cakefort

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

HOW on earth do you get them? I tried my hand at a 3 tier cake this week and I was so discouraged that I promptly cut it up and gave cake away right after it was finished (or I was finished getting frustrated). I just wanted it out of my sight already. I don't know if it is that my cakes are not perfectly level or I'm not icing it even, but I can't seem to get those beautiful, perfectly symmetrically iced rounds. I know my icing skills are not up to par, but I really want to figure out what I am doing wrong. Among other things, it seems like when I go over my crusted BC with Viva, there is always that ledge of BC where the top and the sides meet and I'm never really sure what to do with it.

Any thoughts as to whether it is most likely my icing or my torting?

6 replies
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 7

Check out previous threads here through a search and buy "The Art of Perfecting Buttercream" DVD by Sharon Zambito (sugared productions). That should help a lot.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 7

i know how you feel!!! search youtube for "how to ice a cake" toedna has a great clip. she uses the viva method. also, her recipe for crusting buttercream is on her website. sorry i am not really sure her web address. good luck!!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:41am
post #4 of 7

I too was frustrated with the same issue until I watched a video on youtube on the upside down icing method. Now my buttercream cakes are even with perfect edges. I love it. you should try it and see if it works for you

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCakeCreations

I too was frustrated with the same issue until I watched a video on youtube on the upside down icing method. Now my buttercream cakes are even with perfect edges. I love it. you should try it and see if it works for you

Yep, the upside down technique by Jeff Arnett is great! He is a CC member and I believe there's instructions on here as well.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #6 of 7

[quote="AKS"]Check out previous threads here through a search and buy "The Art of Perfecting Buttercream" DVD by Sharon Zambito (sugared productions). That should help a lot.[/quote

Yes, watch Sharon's videos and practice! I bought her videos, changed 2 little techniques and I noticed a HUGE improvement in my last cake!

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:46am
post #7 of 7

I've watched Tonedna numerous times...she makes it look so easy! I think the upside down method is the only method I have yet to try, so I'll give that a shot. I'll also look into the other DVD.
Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%