A Cake For A Sad Occasion

Decorating By SpringFlour Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 12:24pm by mama2_3

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #1 of 20

I'm looking for some ideas for a cake I'm making next week... It is for a very intimate shower for a lady whose baby has a fatal birth defect and will not survive. I'm wanting something "precious," but am having a hard time coming up with something suitable. Any ideas?

19 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #2 of 20

they make a mold of a baby sleeping that is very precious. that might look nice on the cake.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 20

I'm sorry to hear about that sad situation. I have never been in that situation, thank God, but I would think that the mother would not necessarily want the cake to be any different from other typical shower cakes. For example: if she likes flowers, I say go with flowers; use the colors that she loves; make it fun for her.

When I worked as a midwife we encouraged parents facing this crisis to put together a little kit for their child - clothes, bonnet, shoes, blanket, stuffed toy. This was their "send off". Perhaps this is a theme you could build around?

I respectfully have a different opinion with SPCC, sugar babies freak me out.

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #4 of 20

I think I would go with something simple, classy looking. Like circles, or swirls. Plain but pretty, ya know?

I'm so sorry to hear the story, what a sad situation.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 20

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep..." Does that sound too sad? My daughter has a praying bunny that quotes that prayer. Maybe a praying bunny holding a blanket. It could look kinda like a precious moments bunny with wings.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #6 of 20

This cake by silverc is very sweet.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:42am
post #7 of 20

Maybe some kind of sugar mold or buttercream transfer of a baby being cradled in a hand? This is a touch one, good luck to you and the poor mother who is going to have to say goodbye to her baby : (

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:56am
post #8 of 20

I like the bunny idea that mama2_3 mentioned.
I think if you can make a topping of a sweet little baby being held by white angels would be really nice.
It is a little sad, but moving and so full of feelings at the same time.
Keep the colors simple, have beautiful magicaly white clouds, and the baby in angel's arms and protected by their wings.
I am feeling so sad now. I will pray for your friend.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #9 of 20

I think I would avoid angel wings or anything that would remind everyone of the sad diagnosis. It is for a baby shower, right? They are celebrating the birth of the coming baby.

Do you know if she is having a boy or girl so you can choose colors?

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:58am
post #10 of 20

I lost a baby and it was the hardest thing I ever went through. Please do not put a small baby on the cake. If it were me, a small baby on the cake would make me fall apart. Just do something elegant and classy.

mama2_3 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I lost a baby and it was the hardest thing I ever went through. Please do not put a small baby on the cake. If it were me, a small baby on the cake would make me fall apart. Just do something elegant and classy.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I like the topper idea that letsgetcaking posted. I love that last one and it would be a nice idea for a keepsake.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #12 of 20

I'd just put a little bouquet of flowers with a ribbon around the stems on the top...forget-me-nots and sweet peas would be pretty...something along those line..you can never go wrong

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #13 of 20

you could make a cross with flowers on it

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:04am
post #14 of 20

A lady at my Mom's church lost her baby 1 week before her scheduled c-section. The church always puts on a baby shower after the baby is born and still wanted to give this lady something to let her know that everyone is thinking of her. So they decide on something cheerful and I made the gerbera daisy cake in my photos for her. She loved it and it helped her.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #15 of 20

I vote no baby, no cross, no "Now I lay me down..." That ends with, "if I should die before I wake...." I've lost a child, not a baby by any means, but I just think cheerful, not whimsical-- of course. Just my opinion-- don't mean to offend anyone with their suggestions. No way we'll all agree-- too many opinions. icon_smile.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:15am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

A lady at my Mom's church lost her baby 1 week before her scheduled c-section. The church always puts on a baby shower after the baby is born and still wanted to give this lady something to let her know that everyone is thinking of her. So they decide on something cheerful and I made the gerbera daisy cake in my photos for her. She loved it and it helped her.

Very nice cake!

mama2_3 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #17 of 20

I would defer to the ladies who have suffered through this before and go with somethng cheerful.

SpringFlour Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I was thinking of just a pale pink cake with brush embroidery clouds along the bottom, with the saying "You are loved (baby's name)" near the top, circling the cake. I was trying to figure out a good topper. I like the sweet pea one, but I also thought that having a baby on the cake might be a little too much for mom. I was thinking of tiny booties or something along those lines. I like that she could keep them if she wanted.

Thanks again for your ideas. I have so much sympathy for anyone who has had to deal with the loss of a baby. I can't even imagine the grief and sorrow.

SpringFlour Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:14am
post #19 of 20

This is what I ended up doing. Sadly, the baby was stillborn, but the lady who ordered the cake took it to the hospital for the mommy and a few very close friends.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1650427.html

mama2_3 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:24pm
post #20 of 20

The cake turned out nice. I'm sure she was touched. Thanks for the update.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%