Question On Baking Brownies

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm by tesso

JCE62108 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 2

Few questions on brownies. I havent had a request for these yet so I havent been able to experiment.

I need to make 20 1x1 inch brownie cubes, covered in ganache with monogram for a wedding dessert table. I assume once covered it will be similar to a petit four.

Im not used to baking these, so I dont know how much they rise. when filling my pan, how high should I fill it so I get 1" brownies? I did one batch of Ghiradelli double chocolate brownies in a 9x9 pan, and it was too short. Maybe a bit less than 3/4 inch tall. I dont have any smaller square pans, but I have a small rectangle pan that goes to my toaster over. It's probably 9x5 or something like that. How high should I fill it to get an 1" tall brownie? maybe 3/4 inch? Will it rise more than that?

Also, anyone ever use brownies as cake layers? Just sounds soooo good and rich. Like maybe bake them in round pans, fill with dark chocolate ganache and frost like a normal cake? Oooooh that's probably instant diabetes.

1 reply
tesso Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 2

brownies, in my experience, dont really rise that much. I say fill pan close to 1". Another possiblity is using a small amount of baking powder, to add a little height.

I cut my brownies, using a hot knife to make a smooth cut, then pour or dip them in warm ganache. Really seals in the freshness. I have seen posts where someone did use brownies as a cake. It sounds so gggggoooo-oooddddd.

I make LOTS of brownies, and i think I just might have to try it in a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%