? About Cupcake Wrappers

Baking By Adevag Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 3:17am by cheatize

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 26

I am planning on making my own cupcake wrappers, but since I have never even bought any, I can't figure out what they are like on the bottom. The sides are easy but what are the bottoms like on the ones you buy? The tutorials I have seen online on how to make your own all leave the bottom as a big hole. How do you pick the cupcake up if the wrapper only covers the side?
I read an old thread about home made CC Wrappers here at CC and this question was asked, just not answered. Does anyone know?
Thanks,

25 replies
KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 26

I've never seen one with a bottom. I put my undecorated cupcakes in the wrappers and then decorate. if your wrapper is constructed properly you should be able to pick it up with no problem.

Adevag Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 26

Ok. Thank you. I will definitely give it a try.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:38am
post #4 of 26

I just want to make sure it's clear: you still bake the cupcake in the liner. Leave the liner on and place the cupcake inside the wrapper.

Sorry, I can just picture someone putting the wrapper in the pan, pouring in the batter, and having a mess on their hands. LOL

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:19am
post #5 of 26

If you happen to have a Cricut or a Silhouette, you can make your own easily. There are many patterns and templates for the wrappers on the net, many of them free.

Adevag Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 26

Oh, I don't have a Cricut but I would love to get one some day and you just gave me another reason to buy one. Thanks.
Cheatize, no worries. I'm not planning on baking in the wrappers. But yes, that would make a big mess.
Thanks again.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 26

Yes, you bake the cupcakes in their regular liners. After they have cooled it is easier to place them in the wrappers and then decorate since it is a little tricky to place a decorated cupcake in the wrapper without damaging the icing.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 26

instead of calling them "cupcake wrappers" they should really call them "decorative cupcake collars" that's really what they are. It's not meant to be the "wrapper" on the cupcake......it's just a decorative piece added to an already lined cupcake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 26

OK, I did the wrappers and cupcakes for a table setting at a wedding show. How do you transport a cupcake with a wrapper already on it? I had to set the wrapper on the plate then drop in the cupcake. Messy.

lmcminnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcminnie Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 26

here is a website that has a template and directions to make your own wrappers from scrapbook paper..I am planning my friend's baby shower and couldn't find the exact pattern and color so I decided to make my own..icon_smile.gif

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/10/22/make-your-own-cupcake-wrappers/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 26

How do you add the scalloped top edge? Scissors?

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 26

Yup Leah- scissors. The scrapbooking kind, you can do all different edges. I mark a guide on the inside of my cupcake template. I also decorate the cupcake first then drop it in the liner. Takes getting used to but keeps the liner clean and neat. See my cupcake tower I just posted.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 26

Wow! That link is awesome, thanks! I know there is a template floating around on here somewhere as well, but I can never figure out how to take a pic on here are resize it to what I need. I end up making a whole new template anyway!

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

OK, I did the wrappers and cupcakes for a table setting at a wedding show. How do you transport a cupcake with a wrapper already on it? I had to set the wrapper on the plate then drop in the cupcake. Messy.

I'm not a pro, but maybe this will help. Transport the cupcakes without the wrappers on. Use a candlestick (or make something similar) with a wide enough top to support the cupcake and small enough for a wrapper to go over. Slide your wrapper over the candlestick (like playing ring toss), put the cupcake on top of the candlestick and pull up your wrapper and place on tower or plate. Using large flat end tongs also helps to keep your hands out of the frosting. Hope this is helpful.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 26

i have always wanted to try to make these. may have to give it a try as there are so many options to be creative here.........

Adevag Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:20am
post #16 of 26

Lots of great advice. In case anyone is new at trying this, like me. An idea I got from the old thread I read here at CC suggested to iron together a wax paper with your scrapbooking paper (letting the wax melt together with the paper) and that way you don't get grease stains through your pretty wrapper (and will probably protect against unsafe inks from some papers?). So this is what my first step will be to try. I have seen so many cute home made wrappers and with all the scissors for scrapbooking, the designs are endless. thumbs_up.gif

pugmama1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:38am
post #17 of 26

I recently transported 175 decorated cupcakes with wrappers. They fit perfectly in the cupcake carriers that Costco was selling. I didn't have enough carriers for all of them so I also filled a box full so they wouldn't slide or tip over and they all arrived just fine.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:50am
post #18 of 26

I bake my cupcakes in the white soufle cups instead of the fluted liners . That way I can make collars with straight strips of paper.

Like this.....
LL

pugmama1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:08am
post #19 of 26

Those are adorable!!!

JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:03am
post #20 of 26

Thanks!

JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:05am
post #21 of 26

Thanks!

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #22 of 26

Now why didn't I think of that. You can get a lot more sleeves out of a piece of card-stock if you don't need to worry about the curve! Excellent! Your one smart lady thumbs_up.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:05pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesbyMomME

You can get a lot more sleeves out of a piece of card-stock if you don't need to worry about the curve!

EXACTLY!!!! I got tired of wasting so much paper when in all likelyhood they are just going to be thrown away. You can still use the scrapbooking scissors on the top edge . I make the slits in the ends of the collar so it hooks together to make a circle then secure it with a peice of double sided tape to the cupcake cup.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #24 of 26

Here is some more info for using the nutcups/souffle cups. To save any mess from spill overs, I don't bake in the nutcups, I add a cupcake baked in a regular plain white liner, liner and all into a prepared nutcup. I use a 1" grommet hole cutter ( found in the scrapbook section) or cut an X with exacto knife into the bottom of the nutcup before adding the cupcake as this lets you push the cupcake out from the bottom using your finger. This way you don't have to figure out how to pull apart the nutcup to eat the cupcake.

See my nutcup collar how-to in my signature.

Adevag Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #25 of 26

kimsmom, your cupcake in your avatar is so cute and very creative. Thanks for sharing!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #26 of 26

Love the candlestick idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%