Airbrushing In Chocolate Mold?

Sugar Work By JCE62108 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 5

Saw this website in another thread and had to check it out. Saw something else that interested me! THese chocolates are so incredibly gorgeous!

http://www.tomric.com/Section.aspx?cmd=local&cat=16&sec=67

It saws to swipes the cocoa butter in the mold (Im going to just try it with colored chocolate) and then airbrush white in the mold....airbrush? Airbrush white WHAT? Chocolate? dye? powder? huh? Can you put chocolate in an airbrush? LOL that just doesnt sound like a fantastic idea to me. Sounds like a great way to ruin a brand new airbrush. What are they referring to here, do you know? What is that metallic stuff used on it?

Here are the instructions:
http://www.tomric.com/content.aspx?title=FeatureMore

4 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 5

Airbrush colored cocoa butter on it (like the stuff found here): http://shopchefrubber.com/home.php?cat=1128

You can't airbrush regular airbrush colors on chocolate because they are water based and have a tendency to mess with the chocolate. The chef rubber stuff is awesome! You can also drydust with lustre dust for the same effect.

Okay, I just checked that second link -- he's using a product very similar to the chef rubber stuff, it's colored cocoa butter.

JCE62108 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 5

Ohhh. He is airbrushing the cocoa butter! It just said white...and I didnt know what that meant. Is cocoa butter pretty thin? Can it go through a regular airbrush and be cleaned out for use with normal airbrush colors? Or does it have to be a dedicated airbrush?

I didnt think it would be regular airbrush color. It wouldnt even stick and make a nasty mess. So I can use lustre dust on chocolates? How do I do that?

To get that effect (without useing the cocoa butter), could I use colored chocolate and swipe the inside, then dust some metalic silver lustre in the mold, then fill it? Does that sound like it would work? Does the dust affect the taste of the chocolate? Does it stick on there pretty good?

Thank you bob, I appreciate your reply!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Ohhh. He is airbrushing the cocoa butter! It just said white...and I didnt know what that meant. Is cocoa butter pretty thin? Can it go through a regular airbrush and be cleaned out for use with normal airbrush colors? Or does it have to be a dedicated airbrush?

I didnt think it would be regular airbrush color. It wouldnt even stick and make a nasty mess. So I can use lustre dust on chocolates? How do I do that?

To get that effect (without useing the cocoa butter), could I use colored chocolate and swipe the inside, then dust some metalic silver lustre in the mold, then fill it? Does that sound like it would work? Does the dust affect the taste of the chocolate? Does it stick on there pretty good?

Thank you bob, I appreciate your reply!

Most chocolatiers use a dedicated airbrush which is advisable. You don't want to risk regular airbrush colors messing with the chocolate (NOT pretty!) icon_cool.gif

Yes you can use lustre dust on chocolates. You can drydust the finished chocolate (my preferred method), you can put lustre dust in the mold and pour the chocolate on top, or you can paint the chocolate with a vodka/lustre dust paint. I've never done that last method but I have friends who have and they swear by it. Lustre dust has no taste so you don't have to worry about that. It sticks just fine to the chocolate too, you don't need to do anything special to it. If you look in my pix, the chocolate heart's desire cake, that's chocolate buttercream roses crusted and drydusted with about six different colors of lustre dust. That's pretty much what your chocolate truffles will look like when you dry dust them. I think they're beautiful.

JCE62108 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I wish I had a smooth mold right now. Im going to order one. Im placing an order with www.fondantsource.com now anyway. Thanks for the help, bob! I appreciate it. That cake is beautiful, BTW. Very shiney. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%