Bubble Tea Straws Vs. Sps

Decorating By DeeDelightful Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm by DeeDelightful

DeeDelightful Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 17

I am doing a 14", 12", 10" inch wedding cake. I am wondering if cake boards and bubble tea straws are suitable support for this size cake. I'm trying to decide between the cake boards (which i'm familiar with using) and the SPS (which I have never used). Thanks.

16 replies
marknelliesmum Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 17

Oh I am in the same situation although not till next year my prob is I cant source sps in the uk and it's very expensive to import it. I'm a hobby baker and my best friend wants me to do her wedding cake - very plain n simple design which I can modify as per my talent or should I say lack of lol but the thought of the stacking and transporting terrifies me especially as I'll have to set it up and attend the wedding hence my interest in this post hopefully someone in the know will advise 

idgalpal Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 17

Leah-S where are you??
Leah_S is the SPC resident expert. She can tell you everything there is to know about it!

marknelliesmum Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 17

Sps would be my choice if it didn't cost me way over the odds to import it -is the Wilton version as failsafe as I'm sure that is available overhere ( sorry don't mean to hijack this post)

iamcakin Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 17

Hands down, SPS.

This system can't shift like straws/dowels. I've transported a 6 tier wedding cake 60 miles over rough country roads - including some pretty steep/curvy mountain roads. It's very cost effective, especially when you figure in your peace-of-mind! icon_smile.gif Seriously it will make your trip worry-free!

If you haven't yet done so, take a look at the sticky leah_s posted at the top of the "How Do I" forum.
[/b]

Rylan Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 17

I have done it sucessfully with a combination of bubble tea straws and wooden dowels--just make sure you distribute it evenly.

Use SPS if you want to be very sure you are safe.

momma28 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 17

For a three tier cake I would use the straws. I have used them in alot of cakes, even four tiers. Just my opinion. I know a lot of people on cc love the sps system but I have not tried it yet and havent had any problems. BTW most of my delivers are an hour away because I live in the country.

DeeDelightful Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #8 of 17

I have studied the SPS instructions and i wouldn't mind using it. I was just curious if i could achieve similar results with the straws. Do you stick the wooden dowels into the bubble tea straws when you use them together? or distribute straws and dowels evenly? Thanks for all of your replies.

tinygoose Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:02am
post #9 of 17

I love SPS, I can't imagine doing a wedding cake (and transporting it) without it.

leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:47am
post #10 of 17

You can not even seriously use "bubble tea straws" and SPS in the same sentence!

The *advantage* of SPS is that the system locks together. Once you jam the legs into the plate and twist them, they're not easily coming out. Does the bublble tea straw or the dowels actually *attach* to the plate.

No way.

Therefore the both the straw and the dowel can shift. And what happens when A straw or dowel shifts? The cake loses its support. And what happens when support is lost?

Kaboom.

bbmom Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:29pm
post #11 of 17

ok, I've read so many forums on SPS, but since there is no "bottom" plate, what keeps the columns from slipping around on the bottom cake board?

iamcakin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Use SPS if you want to be very sure you are safe.

icon_confused.gif wouldn't you ALWAYS want to be sure??

DeeDelightful Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

ok, I've read so many forums on SPS, but since there is no "bottom" plate, what keeps the columns from slipping around on the bottom cake board?

Hmm....good question. It looks like just the shape and size of them would keep them from shifting on the bottom cake board, but i don't know for sure.

I think i'll give the SPS a try. I have to transport the cake about 30 miles. I was going to take a chance on being able to finish assembling at the venue, but i don't know for sure if there will be space for that.

iamcakin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

The columns, IE legs, (picture a table) go down into your cake ...it would be kind of like trying to push a kitchen table thru mud, if the mud came all the way up the legs to just under the bottom of the table top...hope this helps. Explaining is not my forte' ! icon_confused.gif !

Have you looked at the sticky by leah_s at the top of the "How Do I Forum"? She explains it completely thumbs_up.gif .

DeeDelightful Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

Quote:

The columns, IE legs, (picture a table) go down into your cake ...it would be kind of like trying to push a kitchen table thru mud, if the mud came all the way up the legs to just under the bottom of the table top...hope this helps. Explaining is not my forte' ! icon_confused.gif !

Have you looked at the sticky by leah_s at the top of the "How Do I Forum"? She explains it completely thumbs_up.gif .

Well, you did a good job of painting that picture for me. In other words, it's very unlikely that those SPS legs will slide in all that moist delicious cake.

leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 17

Guys, what keeps your dowels and straws from shifting at the bottom? (Nothing)

Because the legs and top plate fit together - JUST like a table, it's strong like a table. GREAT explanation, iamcakin. SPS isn't going anywhere.

DeeDelightful Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #17 of 17

GREAT! I'm using SPS! Thanks for all of your replies and helping me make a decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%