A 3D Suitcase Cake For 150

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 2:54am by pattycakes55d

pattycakes55d Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 9

is what a customer asks for. She is also open to a smaller suitcase cake and a sheet cake on the side. Has anyone done this before or knows if it can be done and the how to's? thanks for any help.

8 replies
Kitagrl Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 9

Just go to the Wilton chart and figure out how many sheet cakes will feed that many....and then do the math putting them together to see how large it will make the suitcase, and if you can handle a cake that large. Have fun! You'll probably need to straw or dowel the bottom half, use cardboards, and then put the second half of the cake on top for support.

msulli10 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 9

Sounds like you should make more than one suitcase. Just stack one on top of the other.

astone83 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 9

Why not do a luggage set?

pattycakes55d Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 9

I have not been getting any posts at all so I'm sorry for not commenting.
Thank you for helping out. The customer now says she'd like a briefcase not a suitcase and it has to be "big". I don't have a half sheet pan and need to make the cakes from 9 x 13's and put them side by side. I don't think that will cause problems cutting the cake, right?

I was thinking of dowels too. Thanks for reminding me.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 9

I have stuck 9x13's together. Have fun with a suitcase that big, sounds like you might be over the 50 lb limit. Check out my pix for one I did that is just 9x13

pattycakes55d Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of 9

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes your cakes are beautiful! Great suitcase - it does look big. Over 50 lbs huh. wow. Well at least it spreads out not up.

weirkd Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #8 of 9

I did a traveled themed wedding cake last year. I used sheet cakes for them and got the styrofoam separators from Logicpic. And dowelled the heck out of it!!
The other thing I did was where the two cakes were filled I left it a little indented so that it looked like where the suitcase would open. And letting your fondant get the elephant skin gave a great effect for the look of leather!

pattycakes55d Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:54am
post #9 of 9

that's a great idea. And sometimes my fondant does do that elephant skin thing so that's good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%