Shipping Cookies Help

Baking By Dreme Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 8:15pm by Relznik

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 5

By any chance do any of you know how to ship cookies without breakage? How do you get into shipping cookies? How does selling, taxes, laws, etc across each state work? (How does that work with any business selling across states?)

If this has been asked already does anyone know what threads they are? Im completely new to selling cookies out of state.

TIA

4 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 5

Find a box that is big enough to fit your cookies plus packing material. Line the box with the material (bubble wrap, newsprint, tissue paper, etc). I like to wrap each packaged (in cello bags) cookie in either tissue or bubble wrap and then line them up like soldiers. Put more packing material on top and seal. Now put that box into a larger box that has been lined as well. Seal and ship.
I've done this a few times for friends who live out of the state but have never shipped as part of a biz so i can't answer your questions about laws, taxes, etc.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 5

I'm a horrible thread searcher. So I'll tell you what I know.

Check this site for info on sales tax across state lines:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29919.html

I shop cookies all the time. I use solid white pizza boxes - depending on the size of the cookie, you can generally fit 2 dozen in one. I lay down bubble wrap, a layer of cookies, bubble wrap, a layer of cookies, etc. I then pack the pizza box in a box surrounded by packing material. The box-within-a-box method keeps the cookies secure, even if there is damage to the outerbox. Just make sure there is no movement - you should use enough bubble wrap and packing material that if you shake the box, nothing is moving around in there.

Atlernatively, another thing I've done with great success is to bag the cookies, 2 to a bag, back to back. The cookies being back to back helps strengthen them (like a bundle of sticks versus 1 stick), and then put them in a box inside a box for shipping. Again - packing materials so there is no movement.

And if you're shipping a bouquet - there is a great article on this website about shipping bouquets. It's AWESOME!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 5

I've sent cookies within the UK and I also sent some to my cousin in Canada for his son's baby naming ceremony.

Each cookie is in a cellophane bag.

I line the bottom of a box with some shredded paper. I then put down a layer of bubble wrap. I then wrap each bagged cookie in bubble wrap. I put a layer of cookies into the box. Then, if there are more, I put down another layer of bubble wrap. Then wrap the remaining cookies in bubble wrap. Then another layer of bubble wrap on top. Then if there's any room, I pack out the box with scrunched up tissue paper.

* The important thing is to make sure there's no movement when you shake the box * So if you have to put tissue paper between the cookies, then do so.

If there's any movement, the cookies are much more likely to break.

HTH

Suzanne x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%