Covering Completely With Buttercream & Cracking

Decorating By AngelDawn Updated 31 Aug 2005 , 11:49pm by aupekkle

AngelDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelDawn Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 4

I'm fairly new to frosting cakes but am loving the experience. My problem is that it doesn't matter how much icing I put on you can still see where the layers meet? Is there anything you can do to fix this?? icon_cool.gif Also, when smoothing my icing I pop it in the freezer for a few minutes until it is harder. I've found however that after I'm done and the cake sits in the fridge is cracks icon_cry.gif All my hard work down the drain! Any help is appreciated!!!

3 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to Cakecentral!

There are a few possible reasons why this is happening:

The only time I have ever had icing crack on me was when I put the icing on too thick. Other people have said icing cracks because there was not enough support under the cake.....such as the cake board.

Just curious..why are you putting it in the freezer to harden? Not sure I understand.

What consistency is your icing? Possibly it is to thin if you are able to see "thru" it.....just a thought!

Also, have you tried doing a crumb coat first? I don't find it necessary when using the icer tip. BTW..do you use an icer tip?

Just some food for thought!

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 4

As far as seeing where the layer meet....I took tip 12 and went around the cake w/ icing and then used the icer tip --- it looked great! But whenever I haven't done that I can see the line.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 4

I think the cracking is due to you stick the cake into the freezer. You have to remember that your frosting has water molecules in it, so when you stick it in the freezer, it will expand and become stiffer. So when you stick it back in the fridge, it will soften and lose its expanded form and shrink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%