Martini Cookie Trouble

Baking By CookieMeister Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 2:50am by GeminiRJ

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 7

I have 2 different martini cookie cutters - 1 is 4", the other is 2" I bought the 2" one after the 4" cookies kept breaking at the stem. I figured the size was the issue. Notsomuch - the 2" ones break too! Is this just a basic design flaw?

Anybody else have this issue and found a way to resolve it? I'm especially nervous because i ship so many of my orders - I don't think they'll make a trip.

BTW - I use NFSC.

6 replies
Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 7

I have both size cutters as well. So far I have not had any breakage. I roll my cookies on the thicker side; about a milimeter. Im not sure If it helps or not, but I use fondant as the icing on my cookies.

Ooooh idea! What if you made the stem thicker by leaving an imprint with the cutter and then die cutting the cookie. May take longer but could help with breakage.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 7

yes, I think it's a basic design flaw! Here are some tips that have helped me, though....

* Let the cookies cool completely on the cookie sheet before removing.
* Remove caaaaaarefulllllly
* Roll the cookies a little bit thicker than you normally do
* when you package them for shipping - attach them to a piece of cardboard between the layers to prevent movement and keep them level.

hope those ideas help!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 7

I guess another options would be to make a bigger round, or square shaped cookie, flood or put fondant, then use your martini cutter to imprint on that cookie and decorate it that way. So you'll have a circle or square cookie with a martini glass on it, that's more sturdy.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I guess another options would be to make a bigger round, or square shaped cookie, flood or put fondant, then use your martini cutter to imprint on that cookie and decorate it that way. So you'll have a circle or square cookie with a martini glass on it, that's more sturdy.

OMG. Sometimes the simplest options are right there in front of your face and you can't even see them.

Genius. Pure genius. You are AWESOME. I'll use this when I ship them!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 7

Trust me, i would've never thought about that if it was my dilemma! lol!
I hope it works out well. Good luck to you.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

The PERFECT solution! And I think it would be a far more interesting cookie! You could add fun shaped olive skewers that you couldn't do using the maritini cutter. Different background colors would make each cookie look unique, too.

If you want to use only the martini cutter, bake the cookies on parchment paper. Then you can slide the whole sheet onto the cooling rack, and you won't have to move them until they are completely cooled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%