Cake Scam!

Decorating By Rosie2 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm by KHalstead

Rosie2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 12

Good morning to all. This article is in my local paper this morning and I thougth I share it with everyone that owns a business. I don't own a business but I know a lot of you do. Be careful!!!

http://www.king5.com/news/Bellingham-bakery-falls-victim-to-wedding-cake-scam-90808149.html

11 replies
tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 12

This has been going around for a couple of years or more. I can't believe someone actually fell for it.

Rosie2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

This has been going around for a couple of years or more. I can't believe someone actually fell for it.

I know!! I've read about it here long time ago and then I was shocked to read this article in the paper this morning!!! shame on the people that do it! God's really gonna be mad at them icon_mad.gif

Stefy Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 12

Is it just me or does that cake not look like it's worth $1520 (2500-980 shipping)? I certainly wouldn't pay that much for it.

Also, I don't get the scam? Am I missing something? Both the cost of the cake and the shipping get charged to a stolen card AND no one picked up the cake so how does the crook benefit??

elliespartycake Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 12

Yes the cost of the cake & shipping cost gets charged to the fake card, but meanwhile the bakery has send the $1000 (I think that was it) to the "shipping company", so they will come oick up the cake. They never do of course and the scammer has just made $1000.

Any business that would fall for this has not got their eyes open. If it seems too good to be true people, then it is!

megmarie Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

Is it just me or does that cake not look like it's worth $1520 (2500-980 shipping)? I certainly wouldn't pay that much for it.

Also, I don't get the scam? Am I missing something? Both the cost of the cake and the shipping get charged to a stolen card AND no one picked up the cake so how does the crook benefit??

The baker wired the money to the delivery company, which is a fake set up by the theives...
"The buyer, who said his name was Steven Nicole, was from Toronto. He gave her a charge card for the cost of the cake and the $980 in shipping. He then asked the bakery to pay the shipper directly by Western Union. She wired the dough."

Bfisher2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 12

OOOOOOOh wow........ she fell for that huh....... icon_eek.gif

KarmaStew Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 12

Man, how dumb can you be? That scam has been around for, literally, YEARS now.

I don't know what's more embarrassing for them.... the fact that they actually fell for it, or that their stupidity is now posted on the world wide web for all to see!

Stefy Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry, I don't have the mind of a thief

Rosie2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 12

Bellinham is indeed a small town and people are naive...she proably felt lucky to get an order like that.

Don't forget that...if it smells like a 'fish' it probably is a fish!!!

BonnieJM Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 12

I've been doing cakes for 20 years and never heard of a scam like that. How sad!!

KHalstead Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #12 of 12

I've also seen this scam and received an email from this exact same (name anyhow) person for a cake. Because of posts I'd read on Cc I knew that it was a scam. I told them I accept cash, check, or paypal and never heard from them again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%