Ironing Chocolate Transfers On Fondant?

Decorating By kathik Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 2:24am by bobwonderbuns

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 6

I just saw the craft iron on Global Sugar Art and it mentioned a DVD teaching how to transfer chocolate transfers to fondant. Has anyone ever done this? Can you just give me an idea how this works? Do you like it? Is it worth the investment for the iron and the DVD?

Thanks,
Kathi

5 replies
kathik Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,
Kathi

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

I have the DVD -- it's okay. The technique is cool but it's not my favorite DVD. It's worth the investment if you want to learn the technique.

kathik Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #4 of 6

bobwonderbuns, have you tried this yourself or just watched the video? I'm just curious how it works!

Kathi

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #5 of 6

I took the class with Christine at a cake show. I don't have the dvd.

It's an interesting process, but I found it to be hit or miss with the transfer sheets.

It is chocolate/colored cocoa butter on the transfer sheets, so you have to be very careful during the ironing that the sheet doesn't move and then again when you apply the fondant to the cake, cookie, etc. You are ironing fondant, and that melts the surface of the sugar, so moving quickly so as not to get mega elephant skin is a must.

I honestly haven't done it since taking the class.

Rae

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

I haven't tried it yet, just watched the DVD. I've heard it's a hit or miss technique, but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on that. I do like DVDs though because I tend to forget things from classes, and I can always see it over and over again if I need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%