Cake Pan Prep?

Baking By Jealena Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm by tmac670

Jealena Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 14

Do any of you use anything special in prepping your cake pans? Flour/butter mix?? Do you melt butter and add flour so it comes out like the cake release from Wilton? What would be the ratio?? Any ideas or suggestions to do this? icon_smile.gif

13 replies
joyfullysweet Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 14

I grease them up with shortening. I haven't had much luck using flour. Seems to stick more for me and get darker than I like. Haven't tried Wilton's quick release. I'd be curious to know how well it works.

Jealena Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks, I have used Wilton's but $$$ so was looking for something else to use. I too have not had much luck with flour either..

nicoles0419 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 14

I use the wilton quick release, I thin kit works great. I ALWAYS buy it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon

moranda Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 14

I love the homemade pan preparation I found here.
Equal parts crisco, oil, and flour, mix well and pain on the pans, works great. Very cheap to make and lats a long while.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 14

I use the homemade stuff myself. I love that I can make a little bit using a 1/4th of a cup each of flour, crisco and oil or I can make a big bowl using a cup of each.

I store it in a plastic bowl with a lid on the kitchen cabinet. To use it, just brush it on with a pastry brush.

Malakin Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 14

I also use the homemade stuff and love it. No problems with it showing white on chocolate cake either. I mix 1 cup shortening, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup of oil. Mix well and coat pans lightly. I haven't had anything stick. I can't afford the commercial spray. Too expensive.

pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 14

I use Bakers Joy.. $1.88 per can. I just dont have the patience to wipe the pans with crisco, then flour, then shake... I sparay the pan and I'm done... Can't get easier than that! icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 14

I spray the sides with Baker's Joy and put parchment paper in the bottom. Cake comes out clean every time.

leily Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 14

I use the homemade mixture also. No overspray, I always have the ingredients on hand if I run out and it doesn't go bad once I make it. I use a pastry brush and brush the sides of the pan and then put parchment paper in the bottom so I don't have to worry about sticking.

NEVER had a problem with doing it this way.

deah Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 14

I use the homemade stuff, too. I keep it in a jar in my cake closet. Quick and cheap to make - always works!

BrightDelights Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I spray the sides with Baker's Joy and put parchment paper in the bottom. Cake comes out clean every time.

This is exactly what I do too. Works like a charm!

CakesbyCristina Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 14

Just wanted to thank those who were using the homemade version. I started using it a few weeks ago after reading about it here and I LOVE it. There is no messy overspray, and it cleans up from the pans so much easier than the sprays and other oils.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

tmac670 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 14

Before Wilton marketed their cake release (which does work) they included a recipe for a cake release in their old course 1 book. It was equal parts AP Flour, vegetable oil and shortening. I store mine in the fridge- but you don't have to. I never use anything else!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%