How Do I Cover My Cake Board With Fondant?

Decorating By asweet7 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm by Irish_Sue

asweet7 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 5

ok so i have done a few cakes but still a beginner?
i have a grooms cake next week and i want to cover my cake board in chocolate fondant... any tips or advice you can help me with

also looking for a good recipe for chocolate fondant!!

thanks!

4 replies
nwnest Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 5

Stack a couple of cake boards with the corrugations in the cardboard running in opposite directions to each other (two is nice, three is better.) Cover the boards in foil, making sure that your edges are as smooth as possible (if you skip this, you will get more ridges in your fondant from the corrugations.) Roll out your fondant. Spread a very thin layer of piping gel on the covered cake board--do the top and sides. Cover this with the fondant, trying to work out any air bubbles before you stick down the sides. Cut off the excess with a knife or pizza cutter.

If you have time, cover the board at least a couple of days before you need it. The drier it is the easier it is to handle. You don't want to put fingerprints in it as you handle it.

cakesbymark Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

roll out you fondant like you would for a cake, use piping gel on the cake board, place in the center of your rolled out fondant and flip it over, smooth top and sides cut off extra and make sure you have some piping gel on underside of board so you can roll the fondant under and have it stick...

dalis4joe Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 5

use MMF... and just roll it thin.... use a spritzer to mist water (or brush piping gel) on the foil covered drum and just lay the fondant..... use the smoother to make it even and a carving knife to cut the edges... let it dry before you place the cake on top...

good luck

Irish_Sue Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 5

If you are covering the cake in chocolate fondant too, you can cover the cake and board at the same time, just roll out enough fondant to cover the cake and out to the edge of the board and be careful when smoothing the sides into the bottom of the cake.
I prefer the finish I get doing it this way and it means I don't have to put a barrier under the cake before putting it on the fondant covered board.
The bigger the cake, the more difficult this method can be though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%