Leveling The Frosting...

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm by indydebi

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

I have a couple of questions about frosting, that I wanted to ask some of you experts out there....

I have such a hard time putting enough frosting on. Then when I think I finally have enough on, and start to level it off, I end up scraping the excess and more besides.

I also have a hard time leveling off the frosting on the sides. I do fine
( Usually ) leveling my cakes off before frosting them. But after I put that frosting on I just have such a hard time scraping the excess off and getting enough on there!!! I have purchased a Buttercream DVD but it wasn't a really good one. I have also taken a beginners decorating class and a couple of workshops. So, I understand the technique, it just doesn't really work for me...

Any one care to share their techniques???

7 replies
kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #2 of 8

Wish I could help you, but I, too, have the same problem. I would love to hear what others do to get their frosting on evenly.

littlesydney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesydney Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 8

Edna dela Cruz posted a video on YouTube, which is superb. All of her videos are fantastic!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, Edna's video is great. Sharon Zambito also has great tips.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 8

Can you tell us a bit about how you are removing it. What tool are you using? Sounds like you're using too much pressure when removing the icing. I also find a bench scraper better than using a spatula.

A rubber bench scraper is good. Saw a demo where a woman used a credit card. The flexibility of the plastic really helped me learn the smoothing method, then I "graduated" to the metal scraper.

On smoothing the sides, I use the bench scraper and use the bottom cardboard as a guide (the cardboard sticks out about 1/16" or 1/8" inch from the cake). This helps prevent you from getting the bench scraper too close to the cake and removing too much icing.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 8

Great tip, thanks indydebi. A light bulb just went off with your tip of using the bottom cardboard as a guide. I'm just a hobby baker so when I've frosted a cake for class I place it on a bigger board and it is difficult when taking off excess and make it level and even. I know it may seem really dumb but I'm so excited to frost when I get home!

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 8

Great tip, thanks indydebi. A light bulb just went off with your tip of using the bottom cardboard as a guide. I'm just a hobby baker so when I've frosted a cake for class I place it on a bigger board and it is difficult when taking off excess and make it level and even. I know it may seem really dumb but I'm so excited to frost when I get home!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

If you like putting your cakes on larger boards (and I do when it's a single tier cake, like for birthdays), then you can still use the cardboard guide just by putting the 10" cake on a 10" board (there's usually a bit of extended cardboard) and then putting that on a 12" board. It's a little extra support AND you still have the board as a guide. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%