Best Buttercream For 400 Cupcakes?

Baking By designer3941 Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 3:54am by cupcakeology

designer3941 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 11

This is my first huge order and I'm working on mapping out my timeline to get 400 cupcakes done.

I typically use SMBC but know that will take a lot of time and I've never had good results in refrigerating SMBC to use later.

Any suggestions on a SMBC comparable buttercream?

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 11

I use Sugar shacks icing for a 5 quart mixer its under recipes.
Just love it!!

Cakelayer Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 11

I'm not sure what frosting to recommend but using a large tip and swirling the frosting on will take so much less time than spreading it on and it looks great too.

DianaJJ

ladyk333 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:09am
post #4 of 11

Hi! I also use SMBC all the time and agree it would be a lot of work for 400 cupcakes. On another post regarding that topic, Leah S indicated that she uses a recipe that has meringue powder in it and Hi ratio shortening (?) among other things. Apparently it is very good. I wish I knew how to link you up to that post. Maybe you can search her out to get the recipe or see if she has it posted among frostings.

Good Luck!

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #5 of 11

Sugar Shack's recipe is AWESOME on cupcakes!!!!!!

designer3941 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I really appreciate it! 400 cupcakes...here I come!

juststarted Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 11

I've been always reading raving reviews about Sugar Shack's recipe but if you and your clients like the taste of SMBC they might not like the taste and texture iof it. How about IMBC? it taste similar but a little less work.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyk333

Leah S indicated that she uses a recipe that has meringue powder in it and Hi ratio shortening (?) among other things.

I believe she uses Whipped Cream Buttercream.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-674551.html

I just tried it last week and everybody liked it a lot better than the recipe I used before (Indydebi's-sorry). It's a lot less sweet. It turned out very fluffy, almost whipped cream like, but it was almost too fluffy. It had a ton of air bubbles and was difficult to smooth for me. It didn't matter much for that cake because it was covered in fondant. I am planning on using it to make 75 cupcakes next week, so I'm hoping that it will work well with piping, but not sure.

ladyk333 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for posting the recipe - I wasn't sure how to find it. I'm going to give it a try too as most of my people love that SMBC is silky and not too sweet. I'd like an alternative that is not too sweet as well. I've heard that the paddle attatchment on low can help get out air bubbles and/or a spatula pushing the icing against the side of the bowl.

Kima920 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 11

If you have access to Frosting Pride or Rich's Bettercreme it works great!I just did a bridal shower (100 mini cupcakes in total) plus some regular size ones and the bettercreme tasted great (I put lemon oil in it and colored it pink icon_smile.gif and it held up well (7 hours)! People loved the way it tasted because it wasn't buttery like traditional buttercream is. Also it is so easy all you do is pour in a bowl and run the mixer for about 10 minutes. It fluffs up nicely and very easy to pipe.

cupcakeology Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:54am
post #11 of 11

The only buttercream we use in our shop is IMBC. We make large batches and have no problem refrigerating it and using it later. With the right volume in the bowl it's very smooth and fluffy and it's not too sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%