Putting Satin Ribbon On Buttercream Frosted Cake.

Decorating By auntiecake Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 10:34pm by Jimbos76

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have solutions to keep the grease from soaking into the ribbon? Buttercream is made w/Alpine. I have tried ironing wax paper onto the back, but not enough wax to help anymore. Is stitch witchery another solution? It seems like I read this somewhere. Thanks for any help you gals havel The wedding is this weekend.

7 replies
Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #2 of 8

You could just lay a strip of fondant under the ribbon. Make it a little thinner and it should be hidden behind the ribbon.

icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 8

I have used clear packing tape, sticky side is against the ribbon & slippery side against the frosting, it worked really well for the cake I did.

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 8

I use regular old scotch tape on the back of my ribbon.

blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 8

Oh so glad this came up, doing a wedding cake with ribbon and never even thought that would happpen.

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif Nice! I have a wedding in May that I'll be attaching ribbon to buttercream covered cakes... THANK YOU for bringing this up icon_cool.gif

shelley03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelley03 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

AI used clear contact paper behind my ribbon. The excess cut right off and not seen from the front and it held on beautifully to the buttercream!

Jimbos76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jimbos76 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 8

I know some people would discourage the use of tape due to food safety issues but you can grease the ribbon yourself before putting it on the cake by either spraying it with Pam or using Crisco.  Then run your fingers along it to make sure the entire ribbon is covered.  The ribbon will soak up the grease and therefor will not look splotchy when put on the cake.  But keep in mind, the color of the ribbon will darken a tad from the grease so keep that in mind when choosing a color.  I hope that makes sense and helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%