What To Charge For A "dummy" Cake?

Business By hilberry1 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 1:55am by Denise

hilberry1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilberry1 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 5

While I have been baking for friends and family for years, I just recently legally opened a home-kitchen bakery in Pennsylvania. I am really still in the learning curve.

A friend of a friend has asked me to do a cake for her wedding. Because the reception venue offers a dessert table, she and her fiance are interested in a display cake that only needs the top layer to be edible (and maybe one section of another layer for the cutting ceremony). So I have two questions...

1. When you do a dummy cake for a wedding, I assume the top layer is edible (to be saved for the anniversary). Is another entire layer also edible, or do you only make one section edible for the cutting ceremony?

2. What do people typically charge for a cake like this?

Help!!

4 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 5

Depending on price of cake dummies, shipping and decorating, most times real cake is less expensive to make. IMO.

hilberry1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilberry1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the link!

Minicuppie, I found a local supplier of cake dummies that is very reasonably priced. Since it is local, I don't have to worry about shipping (which seems to cost more than the dummy in most cases!)

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #5 of 5

Except for the baking - the decorating is the same...sometimes harder! LOL you have to make sure that dummy is stuck down really well because they are LIGHT compared to real cake.

I personally would charge the same. Dummies cost as much as cake mix ingredients...the decorating costs the same so there is no savings for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%