Fondant In The Fridge??

Decorating By leggs1 Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 5:05am by KimAZ

leggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leggs1 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 9

Can I put a fondant covered cake in the fridge? I've noticed that a lot of the bakers on TV put their fondant cakes in the fridge overnight before decorating. I was under the impression that I couldn't do that....but what if the filling needs to be kept refridgerated? Then what???

8 replies
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 9

I use Satin Ice fondant and always refrigerate because my fillings are perishable. Yes, the fondant does sweat when it comes out of the fridge after an extended time, however, the moisture disappears after the cake comes to room temp. I would not recommend touching it while it is sweating though.

HTH!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 9

If the filling needs to be refrigerated, then you have to put it in the fridge.

Some people have a problem with the fondant getting soft and sticky as the cake comes to room temperature. I live in a humid climate and don't have that problem at all, but then I run the air conditioner 10 months out of the year and it pulls the moisture from the air. If you notice the fondant getting really wet and sticky looking, you can put the cake in front of a fan.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:21am
post #4 of 9

I live in a very dry climate and we put fondant cakes in the fridge all the time with no problems. The fondant does get tacky but we don't have any problems. In fact, it's actually helpful to adhere other accent pieces, dragees, bows, etc, etc because they stick on very easily without any excess water, piping gel, etc.

KimAZ

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:08am
post #5 of 9

Good point Kim! Perfect time to apply accent pieces!

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:22am
post #6 of 9

I have noticed that if my fondant covered cake is in a box and I let it come to room temperature IN the box, there is no sweating after I take it out of the fridge.

leggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leggs1 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:37am
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone for your replies...i think i'll take my chances and put it in the fridge after all. It's good to know that it has worked for you!

ilovemylittleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemylittleone Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 9

What about MMF? Anyone tried to place in the fridge. Seems like a good idea to chill the fondant and then let it sweat so the mmf accents would stick without using RI. Anyone tried this?

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:05am
post #9 of 9

I use MMF all the time and put it in the fridge with no problems.

I find that it does not get as tacky as Satin Ice does but either one works fine.

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%