Filling For Fondant Cakes

Baking By Kosha Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm by Malakin

Kosha Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 3

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to make a fondant covered cake for my best friends baby shower (for about 35-40 people). I have never made a fondant cake at this scale. Since it will be covered with fondant, I suppose I need to make the cake or the filling more tasty. I always use cake mixes, so what type of filling can I use to improve the taste of the cake itself? I dont like the Wilton recipe of Buttercream, its so sweet and almost just sugar. I think its only good for decoration. I understand that it should be something that does not need refrigeration. To be on a safer side, I would like to make the cake the night before. Any suggestions for filling for fondant covered cakes please? Please share your recipe as well. Thank you so much.

2 replies
idgalpal Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 3

The WASC recipes is a good one, chocolate or white. Filings? Raspberry, lemon, chocolate, the possibilities are endless.

Malakin Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 3

I definitely would use WASC cake or another like it to hold the weight of the fondant.
For fillings, I've sometimes added Amaretto, seedless raspberry jam, or others items to the bc. Add a pinch of salt to the bc to cut down sweetness. I use Sugarshack's recipe. I personally think all bc is sweet but most people like that.
I had a problem where I needed to serve a cake that I wanted different fillings for but was at a loss as the fillings needed to be in the fridge and the cake couldn't be. I made the fillings seperate, lemon curd, fresh raspberries, chocolate chip cookie dough (without the eggs), peanut butter mousse and chocolate ganache and served them in a fancy container on the side. The ppl loved it that way. They all got to pick what they wanted. It was a hit. But, if you do use a filling in between the layers, make sure you absolutely dam it with thick BC so it doesn't bulge out the sides from the weight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%