New Cake Walk Contest May 1St During Va Gold Cup Event

Decorating By AuntAndrea Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 7:30pm by AuntAndrea

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 3

Heres some information I just received about an upcoming cake contest in Virginia that Im planning on entering (copied with permission):

The Virginia Lottery is sponsoring a Cake Walk Cake Decorating Contest during the 85th Running of the Virginia Gold Cup steeplechase races on May 1, 2010. They are looking for cake decorators to participate the theme is Happy Birthday VA Gold Cup! Duff Goldman will be there to judge, and the Virginia Lottery is providing the prize ($100 worth of lottery tickets!) The races are held at Great Meadow Event Center at The Plains, located in Fauquier County, Virginia.

Applications to enter the contest are being accepted now go online to www.vagoldcup.com, click on Saturday, May 1st, and look under current news for the Cake Walk link (or try this direct link: http://vagoldcup.com/main.cfm?pageID=17 ). The contest is limited to the first 30 contestants that submit their application form along with an illustration/picture of the cake being entered, and the Entry Fee of $100. The Fee includes admission for the contestant plus one guest to the VA Gold Cup Event. The cake contest is open to both amateurs and professionals, and there is only one entry allowed per person.

You can find additional details for the contest online (check out the documents at the above links), as well as lots of information about the Gold Cup races. And if you have any questions, feel free to post them here and Ill try to get an answer for you!!

FYI: These races are held annually and are attended by over 50,000 spectators its one of the largest and most popular sporting events in the greater Washington metropolitan area. Race day features six hurdle and timber horse races; Jack Russell Terrier races; tent, tailgate and hat contests and this year also a Cakewalk Contest! There will be plenty to see and do during the day once youve set up your cake in the Cake Walk tent it's sure to be a lot of fun!! icon_smile.gif

Hope to see you there!!!
...Andrea

2 replies
AuntAndrea Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 3

Hmmm... I wanted to update the above message, but I've obviously forgotten how to edit my posts (can't find the option!) Duh!! icon_confused.gif

Anyway -- the message above says the entrance fee is $100, but that has been lowered to $50 (I think I may have nagged them into lowering it with all my questions!! I didn't mean to, but hey -- it's a good thing!!) icon_smile.gif

So, if you are interested in entering, the fee is $50 -- just cross out the reference to the earlier price in your application.

Happy Caking!
...Andrea

icon_smile.gif

AuntAndrea Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 3

YET ANOTHER UPDATE / CHANGE... icon_smile.gif

Okay, I spoke with the folks running this event, and they've agreed now to completely eliminate the contest entrance fee!! So now you can enter the contest for free AND still get full admission to the Gold Cup event itself for you and your guest! That alone makes it a great deal!! icon_biggrin.gif

Some more info/updates: Yes, Duff will be there, and he will be one of the judges for the contest. He's also bringing his own 3'+ cake in honor of the Gold Cup's birthday. And now it also looks like the Food Network may be coming to do some filming and interviewing of the contestants and the event! (No guarantees any one of us will be filmed, but could be!!) icon_smile.gif

I'm actually pretty darn excited about this event!! Anyone else thinking of entering a cake?

...Andrea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%