Do U Charge Different Prices For.....

Decorating By iris219 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm by cai0311

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 18

I was just wondering if any of you charge different prices for different flavor cakes and for different flavor icing?

17 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 18

Absolutely! Especially for the "Specialty Cakes..." like carrot, or Italian Cream that require alot of extra ingredents and time. I ususally charge 25 cents per slice more for those type of cakes. When it costs us more to create them...it should (of course) cost the consumer the extra as well. icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 18

I charge the same for all cakes and filling with the exception of fresh fruit (because the price changes so much depending on the time of year).

All of my cakes are the same price per flavor, however if they want more than 1 flavor for any tiered cake I do charge a $5.00 flat fee per extra flavor (only because I wind up with wasted cake batter because I may only need 1 6" round or 1" 10 round of a particular flavor and the rest of that batch is not used...so this offsets that cost)

It does cost me more to make carrot cake than white cake but my price/serv. covers it.........so I just make more profit when I make white cake (which is nice since most people order that lol)

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 18

I do. I have a list of basic flavors and specialty flavors that cost more. Khaltstead - that is a great idea!! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 18

yeah, I got tired of doing all the math

this flavor cake was this much more per/serv. that flavor was this much more......then mixing and matching regular fillings and premium fillings.....it just got to be tooooooooooooo much math!! Much easier to say......cake is this much/serv. and filling is this much/serv. and that's it! Doesn't matter what flavor, it's a set price.

The price I set ALWAYS more than covers me for ANY of the flavors, the ones that use less ingredients or cheaper ingredients, I wind up with more profit that's all.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 18

I like set prices that away you don't have any hidden or surprise charges, plus it is much easier to say it is $4 a serving, vs $4 a serving for this flavor and $5 a serving for this flavor and $5.50 a serving for that flavor.

If you do feel the need then have two prices and not a different price for each cake. Like was mentioned you can have basic flavors and speciality flavors. But just make it easy on you and your clients to know which is which and what the prices are.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 18

I don't, unless someone wants something that costs me a lot to make. Passion fruit comes to mind as being a bit more expensive for me, but there are others as well.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 18

The reason why I charge extra for speciality cakes is due to the fact that my prices are....cheap (in comparision to many other independent bakers in this area)! I am dedicated to provide great quailty cake without charging an arm and a leg. It's my passion, it's my job ~ and I'm not looking to get rich! Call me crazy... its been said before and I totally agree!
LOL

My prices are always clearly stated.

For example... plain cakes, ones that don't take alot of "special ingredents" (such as vanilla, chocolate, lemon) are $ ___ per slice. Speciality cakes, ones that have alot of nuts, fresh produce, etc. (such as Carrot - my carrot cake is LOADED with fresh goodies, Italian Cream or my liquor cakes are $___ per slice. The price difference is only 25 cents more. No real calculations needed.

Trust me, clients pay attention! And they don't like to be over-charged! It's like you going into a resturant and ordering a simple salad....and they charge you the same as if you had ordered a big juicy steak! Certain foods, cost more. Whether its simple on us bakers or not... we should be fair to our clients. In the same sense, being fair to ourselves!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 18

I don't, unless someone comes to me with a special request that isn't on my flavor list. Depending on what it is I may charge more, but I have it noted on my price sheet. I have 11 cake flavors and 12 fillings though so that covers most people, only ever had a couple of request for something different, but it was fillings and I was able to get them for the same price or cheaper than what I already have figured in my cost.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 18

I don't charge extra for any of the 31 cake flavors I offer. I don't charge extra for fillings. I don't charge extra for filling add-ins. I don't charge extra for changing flavors every tier - in fact I encourage it.

it all works out in the end.

And my customers love it. Easy. Sets me apart form everyone else.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I don't charge extra for any of the 31 cake flavors I offer. I don't charge extra for fillings. I don't charge extra for filling add-ins. I don't charge extra for changing flavors every tier - in fact I encourage it.

Mine was the same way. Brides were always excited to realize "you mean I can have ANYTHING I WANT at no extra charge????!!!!"

And as I illustrate in this blog entry, the lowest price isn't always the cheapest cake. http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/pricing

Someone said it earlier ... brides notice. They notice when they are being nickel and dimed to death and they notice when it adds up to a higher price in the end. Most that I talked to didn't like what they called the "bait and switch" pricing tactic. They just wanted to know how much the cake is going to cost.

Of course you always need to do what works for you. I'm just sharing feedback from the brides I spoke with.

KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 18

I love the idea of having a solid price for all cakes with filling and fondant etc. and charging one rate for the whole shabang.........

I charge $2.25/serv. for bc tiered cakes
$2.75/serv. for fondant tiered cakes
$.25/serv. for filling

I would love to charge say $3.00/serv. and say that includes fondant if you want it and filling if you want it......but everyone in my area charges $1.25 for bc and $1.50 for fondant, and then they have all their add ons (which still result in a lower priced cake)

I'd be afraid of scaring EVERYONE off if they saw $3.00/serv. they probably wouldn't get far enough to read that it includes filling, fondant, decorations, set up charge, etc. all inclusive!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 18

^
Unfortuantely, you are absolutely right on that one! It would scare them off. Often times customers don't take into consideration whats all included in higher prices. So we are stuck having to do a little math. lol. Not to mention those who just want a solid price for a certain cake! Without giving the details of what/if any fillings, etc. I have run into so many brides lately stating they don't understand the "per slice" price. Strange. icon_confused.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #14 of 18
Quote:

I'd certainly be a customer if I lived in your area icon_smile.gif

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #15 of 18

Thank you everyone for all your input this helps me a lot.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:01am
post #16 of 18

Just be sure you are charging enough to begin with to cover those expensive cakes. I charge the same for all of my cakes UNLESS they want a fresh fruit filling. Then I usually just charge them what my price would be for them.... like strawberries at $8.00 for a large box of strawberries, which is usually enough to fill the cake and take a couple home to my little strawberry-aholic icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:

Ditto.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

Same here except for vegan cakes. I charge more for vegan cakes because I think they are a pain to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%