Making A Logo With Fondant

Baking By toleshed Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 2:57am by luv2bake6

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to make a logo out of fondant. Of course there isn't a cutter specifically for that particular company. Are there any ideas or suggestions as to how to make a logo like this?

8 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 9

I know some people use a cricut machine to cut out fondant or gumpaste..!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 9

And while you're waiting for your Cricut to be delivered (the way things are going, mine will be arriving in about 2015), you can do what I do: make a drawing or tracing of the different components to the logo, roll out fondant or gumpaste in the different colors used, cut around each shape with a tiny wheel (there's one that comes with a wheel on one end and a stitch marker on the other) and assemble the components by stacking them. Of course, the thinner the fondant or gumpaste, the less bulky the logo will be. Another options is to cut the basic shape of the logo out of fondant/gumpaste and paint in the different parts of the internal design with gel colors (which can be thinned with vodka when you need lighter tones). After the whole thing has dried, the outlines may be drawn in with a black edible ink marker, if you want more definition. I hope this makes sense and isn't just a bunch of word salad!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 9

You can't cut out fondant with the cricut cuz it's too soft. Only gumpaste will work after it has been left to dry out a bit.

toleshed Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the info. My cricut won't be here for a verrrrry long time. icon_smile.gif
Marianna46 - wonderful info. thanks so much.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

You can't cut out fondant with the cricut cuz it's too soft. Only gumpaste will work after it has been left to dry out a bit.

Not true! I use 8 oz. fondant with 1 tsp. of gumtex, knead and set aside in a baggie with the air mashed out and put in a lidded container. I let mine set aside for several hours and then roll it out to a #5 on my clay machine and lay it on the cricut mat (after brushing the mat with crisco). I store it overnight in a 2 gal ziplock bag with the air mashed out and the next day I take it out and send it through the cricut and it cuts. I have learned that if I cut the pattern with the cricut set to "flip" then it cuts it out and when I remove the cutout and turn it over, no edges to worry about. Cuts look clean and the design is neat. (My time frames might not work for you, but I work a full time day job and so have worked on my technique to suit my time schedule).

Here's a photo of a cutout I did last week, and I cut it without the "flip":
LL

toleshed Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 9

Thats awesome ptanyer. thanks so much. Can I ask you about your fondant? What do you use? And if homemade, how do you get your black so good?

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

Thats awesome ptanyer. thanks so much. Can I ask you about your fondant? What do you use? And if homemade, how do you get your black so good?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

My fondant for this was Satin Ice. I have also used Wilton and Satin Ice mixed. Actually it isn't black, it's a Duke Blue Devil blue - but you can't tell it from the photo I took icon_sad.gif I tried coloring fondant black once and will never, never do it again. I buy my black from Satin Ice. It stays a true black from start to finish. But the blue I colored myself.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #9 of 9

Sorry i wasn't clear. I meant that you can't cut straight fondant. If opting to use fondant, you have to add tylose or gumtex to it in order to make it sturdy enough to cut. Plain fondant is too soft. Sorry again.
ptanyer, that cut is really nice. I still have not been able to get the texture just right to cut without tearing. Have to play around a lot more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%