Any Tips On Getting This Look?

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 6:20am by Frotusbush

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 10

I've never done a cake like this, I have an idea of how to do it... just wanted to see if someone else knows how to do this? I'm thinking I'll have to cover the cake with fondant first, then go back with strips of fondant?
LL

9 replies
Chasey Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 10

Viewed 50 times and no answers! I don't have one either. icon_lol.gif Just looking at it, maybe it's a long piece of fondant draped over the tier and then gathered/pleated before trimming the excess off? I am not sure that it is separate pieces of fondant adhered to an already fondant covered cake.

Or maybe it is strips and then are folded over to look like a gather and then the seam is hidden by the next one?

I should insert a confused emoticon right here. icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 10

I think the pleats were added to an already fondant covered cake, then airbrushed...just my guess though. Looks pretty and sounds easy to make.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with Kellbella... I think it is a fondant covered cake and then each layer is covered in a wide pleating and then airbrushed.

nesweetcake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 10

Agree as well, but, look at the top tier in the middle towards the bottom. I believe the fondant is folded, start towards the bottom and cover the unfolded edge with the next layer of fondant that is wrapped. Not sure it's air brushed ..... looks like dry brushed with luster to get the high and low tones in color. My guesses....hope they help.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 10

Thanks guys.. I'm going to try using different pieces of fondant first to see if that will work. I told her that I would do something similar... but that I wouldn't copy the cake exactly.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 10

Looks covered, then wrapped. Look at the top tier, you can see what looks like the end of one of the "strips" of fondant that didn't fully get hidden.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 10

yeah... I saw that... that's what made me think that it was strips. I'm thinking of mixing gold with pearl to get that color.

Frotusbush Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:19am
post #9 of 10

Everytime I have done a cake like this I have covered the cake and then rolled fondant strips through my pasta machine, folded them and applied them starting at the top and laying the new strip over the cut edge of the stip above it. - Works like a charm.

Frotusbush Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:20am
post #10 of 10

Everytime I have done a cake like this I have covered the cake and then rolled fondant strips through my pasta machine, folded them and applied them starting at the top and laying the new strip over the cut edge of the stip above it. - Works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%