No-Dye Red Velvet?

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 12:32am by prterrell

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 6

I tried the search mechanism, but I'm either not using it correctly, or no one has posted this (which would surprise me!)

Anyone have either a scratch or doctored mix recipe for no-dye red velvet? I did order a great version of red beet powder that came yesterday, and it looks great. I just have no clue or experience, and would love some suggestions and tips!

Thank you!

5 replies
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 6

I can't attest to any of them as I've never tried it, but if you google "natural red velvet cake recipe" you get lots of results. Here's just one of them http://baking-decorating-cakes.suite101.com/article.cfm/naturally_colored_red_velvet_cake

Good luck! I hate the idea of how much red food dye is in a red velvet cake - I'd love to know how the beet powder comes out!

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 6

LMBO!!! That's the exact one I have bookmarked in my browser!!! I just wanted some advice or other commentary from people who have done it! I will be sure to post how it comes out (it's for 4/25, but I think I will be doing a practice go).

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 6

I grew up on "beet" RVcake but unfortunately, the recipe got lost as generations passed on.... icon_wink.gif I do hope you post on this cake. Would like to know how you liked it. icon_smile.gif

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

I have tried lots of different things and I never got anywhere. The theory seems to be that the original red is from a reaction between the cocoa powder and baking soda but I've never experienced that with the different cocoa powders I've tried.

I've used beet in the mix and it just turns brown when cooked, you could try it though, maybe the powder is different.
http://forayintofood.blogspot.com/2008/10/cupcake-lessons.html

I always try to find the palest cocoa, scharrfen berger is quite pale, then I use a double concentrate liquid red coloring, which integrates easily.
The reason people like red velvet so much imo is because it is full of oil and it has cream cheese frosting!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%