My First Decorated Cake....icing Crackly??

Decorating By SusanKB Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm by SusanKB

SusanKB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanKB Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:06am
post #1 of 9

This is my first time decorating a cake. I'm taking classed at Michaels. I used Buttercream Icing (Wilton Recipe). It came out very crackly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep it from becoming crackly? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
LL

8 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:05am
post #2 of 9

Two things that I know of can cause the crusted icing to crack. The first is waiting too long to smooth the icing. If it is too crusted, it will crack. The other is having too little support under the cake, so the cake flexes a bit when the cake is moved, which makes the crusted icing crack. I don't know why they make the cake boards so thin, especially for the larger sizes. You have to double or even triple them to prevent the flexing. (Or use something thicker like foamcore or masonite)

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 9

I had this happen to one of my cakes. Indydebi suggested I add a bit more milk to my frosting and I haven't had the problem since. You might want to give that a try, just to make sure your frosting isn't too dry to start with.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 9

My first suggestion: Use Indydebi's Buttercream Icing. Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

I would also agree with redpanda: Don't wait to long to smooth, and make sure your cake has a strong base.

HTH. Good luck.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 9

It looks like you used only 1 cake board. Even with 8" round layered cake, 1 board is not enough support. I always use 2 with this size. That should help your class BC from cracking.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 9

Another little thing I do with cardboard cake boards is to put two or three together, but make sure the corrugated lines are not all running the same way. This seems to make it a little stronger.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 9

Good job on your first cake! Search around here for different butter cream recipes. Make sure you follow and measure ingredients exactly. I've had to make many batches of buttercream before I found one that worked for me, same goes for baking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 9

Along w/the already suggested thing to do, I suggest you thin the icing just a bit more. It should be thin consistency when using the Wilton Class B'cream recipe.

SusanKB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanKB Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

Ok so double the borads and make sure that the icing is thin, got it. Another question, how much icing do I put on the cake? Alot or a little?

Thanks Everyone.
Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%