Had To Lie To Get Them To Back Off!!

Decorating By tsal Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm by tsal

tsal Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 7

Everyone wants a cake. I'm a hobby baker with no business aspirations at this point. I have been approached to start a business a few times (one offer consisted of this: I would do all the work and my business "partner" would give me a cut - needless to say, I laughed.

Anyway, I'm getting LOTS of requests from friends, family and aquaintances. I don't mind baking for free for good friends and family, but won't do so for friends of friends or aquaintances. Some of them won't take no for an answer and they want to pay me, so I now tell them that it is illegal to sell cakes from my home (that's the truth). Then they started saying (I swear, it's like they coordinated this), "no one has to know." I have found that if I say,"but it is wrong and I won't put myself in that position." arguing follows. So, my latest retort is that I have been warned by the HD already in one of those "no one has to know" cases, and I'm never doing it again.

Automatic shutdown - no argument. I'm against lying in general, but I have bent my own rule in this case. My real friends and family know the truth!

6 replies
cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 7

I know what you mean. I just shut down my business and am getting calls to continue, but I let my insurance go, and I won't put myself in that position (take that risk), even though technically I still have my business license and have been inspected. I guess you should be flattered, but it gets to the point where they just won't take a hint! And it's illegal to hit them over the head with your rolling pin, I think. icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 7

If it saves you from the headache from an arguement that a little white lie in this case is fine thumbs_up.gif

bbmom Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedesigner59

And it's illegal to hit them over the head with your rolling pin, I think. icon_smile.gif

hee hee made me laugh out loud! icon_lol.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:02am
post #5 of 7

Well at least you know how much everyone loves what you do!!! thumbs_up.gif

I'm in the same boat, except I'd really love to have a confectionary business. I just tell people that it's illegal, if I get caught I may jeopardize my future endeavors of having a business. Usually that puts an end to it and they understand.

I did have a mother of a bride not too long ago continue to call asking me to reconsider. I would have loved to have been able to do it, but I kept telling her why I couldn't. I finally went so far as to tell her I'd be happy to work with her on a cake design (because she really wanted me to do it, and I really would not have minded doing this for her); but since she couldn't reimburse me for it, she said "No. Let THEM [whoever the baker was] earn their money!" She was very sweet, and I hope they got the wedding cake of their dreams. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, sorry for the side-track there! But like you (and many others!), I hear the same things! icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:25am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedesigner59

And it's illegal to hit them over the head with your rolling pin, I think. icon_smile.gif

hee hee made me laugh out loud! icon_lol.gif

It's not illegal to squirt or fling icing at them though...hubby figured out quickly to leave me alone when I had icing out, and no, I dont want nor need his opinions on a cake icon_smile.gif

tsal Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 7

I can't believe that people argue with me! I mean if someone hinted to me that they only did cakes for friends and family (and I fit neither category), then I wouldn't ask! Some people are really nervy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%