Pin Prick Method?

Decorating By Mickeebabe Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm by 2txmedics

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 7

I'm either going to use the pin prick method or the trace and transfer method but my question is:

Do I thin my buttercream a little bit to fill in? It looks like you do a back and forth motion for the inside after you do your outline but I don't want the lines to show up that much.

Can I also do the Viva method on top after it crusts to get a smooth finish?

How do I do these methods and get a smooth look?

Thanks so much for all the help. I don't decorate many cakes and they always make me nervous when I have to do one.

6 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 7

What exactly is the design you are transferring? Is it something you could make with a frozen buttercream transfer? I find them very handy in recreating designs.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #3 of 7

I could do a FBCT but I havn't had much luck with those. The black outline is never quite right. Sticks to the paper too much. Always breaks too and then I lose the small details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

What exactly is the design you are transferring? Is it something you could make with a frozen buttercream transfer? I find them very handy in recreating designs.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:52am
post #4 of 7

I've always had great luck with the FBCT method. What is the icing recipe you use? I use the one in the articles here on this site and have never had a problem with sticking (I use waxed paper)

CakeTopper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTopper Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 7

One trick I learned for the black icing in a FBCT is to use canned chocolate icing which you then dye black - it seems to be the perfect consistency to prevent sticking. I never use canned icing except for outling in FBCTs and I've never had issues with the black sticking. I think I learned this in an old thread here on CC.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #6 of 7

Great tip, CakeTopper! I HATE tinting just a small amount of black for my outlines. I would never have thought to start with chocolate canned icing. Genius! thumbs_up.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

I used piping gel with black, and I found it stuck alittle but not much....my boxer cake in my photos is done in pin prick and he had alot of detail.....but I did mine in tiny tiny stars to give him the ruffled look.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%