Making An Open Box Cake

Decorating By stephilde Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm by windemire

stephilde Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 5

In order to make a cake the shape of an open box, do you have to use a foam (not edible) board as the lid? Is there a way to accomplish this look with edible materials? How about trying to make the cake acutally look like it is bursting or exploding? Has anyone seen or tried this and how did you do it?

4 replies
leily Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 5

If you take a look at this cake I did, I just used Gumpaste for the lide and let it dry for a few days in advance. It is edible, but no one ate it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1397586

Have also seen others use a 1/2" or 1" cake for the "lid" and then prop it up so it's open, maybe someone has a pic of this for you.

JGMB Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 5

Just yesterday, I watched a rerun of Amazing Wedding Cakes. The Maher sisters used all cake, propping the top one up with long dowels in the front. Theirs was actually a treasure chest, but absolutely the same concept. They then hid the dowels with stuff like coins, etc.

stephilde Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 5

i think i remember seeing that episode of amazing wedding cakes. seems like it would be against gravity if you propped it up, but then again maybe not since it will be on a cake board.

As for the gumpaste one, how did you do it? Just measure it out the same size as the cake? How did you make the outer part of the lid. just cut a separate peice and glue it on? At least with cake or a board there is something there to put it around, you know? With just think gumpaste how do you support it into place?

windemire Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 5

You can use a cake pan for a mold; just turn the pan upside down, grease it well (or cover it with plastic wrap), and lay your gumpaste over it. Cut the sides the width you want, and let it dry a couple days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%