Can I Put Crocodile Impression On Glace Or Royal Icing ?

Baking By Overambitious Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 12:37am by bonniebakes

Overambitious Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 5

I am making purse cookies and need a crocodile skin appearance. I have an impression mat which works wells for fondant. However to cut out a purse shape for the cookie is difficult to match up to the fondant cut out. The cookie cutter has the outline shape and then an interior cutter to make the handle. The fondant stretches or the cookie shape is a little stretched from placing ont he pan after cutting. I need something easier.

I was thinking about pressing the impression mold into a glace if possible or royal icing? Has anyone done that before?

4 replies
TracyLH Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 5

I work with RI on my cookies and I cannot see being able to imprint a design without cracking the RI. Perhaps others have found differently. Have you worked with fondant? That is the medium that most use for that concept. My daughter is a budding caker and we often make fondant for her figures, cakes, etc and really love this recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

brincess_b Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 5

what you could do is... when your cookie comes out the oven, re cut it using the cutters. it will then be the perfect shape. cut your fondant and apply - maybe you need to knead the fondant more or roll it thicker, or simply use something bigger to lift it with. sayin that, you could probably put a big bit fondant over the whole cookie, and cut both at once...
xx

linedancer Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 5

If I am understanding your problem, after you cut the cookie and then the interior cut, by the time you get them on the pan, they stretch a little. Then if you do the same for the fondant, it also stretches out of shape??

Could you cut the cookie, transfer it to the baking sheet, then do the interior cut on the baking sheet, maybe helping to cut down the stretch??

Also does the "handle" of the purse need to be out of the crocodile skin or can it be different. You could cut the fondant off at the handle, and apply that part to the cookie. Cut either more of the croc skin or make the handle of something else, then apply that to the cookie. Use some sort of embossing or whatever to cover the seam.

Also let your fondant sit for a few minutes before applying to the cookie, it helps with the stretch to let it relax and dry a bit.

I took a cookie class with Susan Carberry where we used this technique. Not my best work, but you get the drift. HTH
LL

bonniebakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:37am
post #5 of 5

I really wish someone would respond with how to make an impression in RI... boy would I love to be able to do that!! But, I haven't found a way yet.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%