Ganache Didn't Work.

Baking By hluterbach Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm by TexasSugar

hluterbach Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 4

so i tried ganache this weekend and it didn't work. i used 12 oz of semi sweet choc. chips, 8 oz of heavy cream, 1 tblsp. of butter and a tsp of sugar.

i brought the cream, butter and sugar to a boil and then poured it over the chips and stirred till it was smooth. the recipe said to wait till it was room temp before covering the cake in it but it started to get thicker so i poured it over the cake when it was still a litttle warm.

cake was covered in a thin layer of buttercream already. well the ganache tasted good and all but it didn't smooth out on the cake. i had to sort of spread it and it just didn't look like it was supposed to. what did i do wrong?

also i would like to use milk chocolate but don't know the ratio for that. any info? any advice?

3 replies
TitiaM Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 4

The recipe I use would be more like 10oz chocolate to 8oz cream, and don't allow it to set up at all--It should be warm to pour. If it sets up too much you can just microwave it until it is liquid again.

I wouldn't use sugar in it--not sure why its in your recipe, the butter makes it have a bit more shine, but isn't really necessary either.

If you allow it to set up a bit you can use it like an icing, or whip it to a fluffier consistency.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 4

I always use a two to one ratio of choc to cream, no butter or sugar, just the cream and chocolate and usually I use a bittersweet choc like Ghiradelli's chips, works great. You need more choc, about three to one if you're going with milk or white chocolate. Good luck! don't give up on ganache, once you get it down it's amazing!

TexasSugar Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 4

Were you trying to pour it on or spread it? If you are pouring it you do it while it is still warm not hot hot, but warm. If you want to spread it then you let it set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%