Wavy Half-Fondant Cover

Decorating By Aedans_Cakes Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 4:03pm by ZoesMum

Aedans_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aedans_Cakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to do a cake that has a wavy half-covered fondant top like this....

How do you do it? How do you make sure that the "waves" are relatively even?

Help!
LL

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 9

I would cut the pattern you want out of waxed paper, then use that for a guide to cut the piece of fondant for the top of the cake, I would also use a vinyl mat to transfer so you don't stretch out the pattern.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 9

a lot of people us regular paper and fold and cut pattern

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 9

I think the easiest way is to do it with the Wilton ribbon cutter (wavy attachment). I recently bought one and really like it!

Enchantin-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantin-Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:03am
post #5 of 9

Just fold paper and cut out the shape. Open up and use as template on your paste. Try not to stretch your paste while covering. Enjoy!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 9

I was afraid of stretching too, and of not placing it exactly centered. So I just placed a round-ish piece of fondant over the top of mine, smoothed it down a little, and then used a small roller to cut it to the final shape once it was already on. I did mine in big, gentle waves - but I'm sure you could do it in smaller waves too.

Although I must say that I was in a BIG hurry for the cake I did this on (the brown, pink, and white polka dot cake). I might have tried it a different way if I wasn't so rushed, but it worked out okay for me.

Aedans_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aedans_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions! I cant wait to try them - its certainly less intimidating now!

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 9

That's what I love about this place! I was just fixing to ask the same question! Thanks for the tips!

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 9

I did the same as SugarFiend...put a roundish piece on first, then free hand cut the wave in. Then just lisfted up the edges to put a little water on to glue it down. Worked really well, but I wasn't looking for it to be totally even. Here is the cake I did it on...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1577755

Have fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%