How To Use Luster Dust / Sparkle Dust

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm by ToniMarieLovesCuppies

Echooo3 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 11

I just got a little jar of Sparkle Dusk but don't know how to use it. Do you mix it with something like vodka and paint it on? Do you brush it on dry?

10 replies
Echooo3 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 11

One more thing, please. What is the difference between luster dust and sparkle dust?

Thank you.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 11

What brand is the sparkle dust?

Echooo3 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 11

www.fondantsource.com

TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 11

Ah okay, I don't know anything about the sparkle. Luster dust is a fine loose powder that can be dry brushed or mixed with extract/alcohol.

Is the Sparkle a really fine dust/powder or more grainy?

Echooo3 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 11

TexasSugar, thank you so much for replying. It looks exactly the same as Luster Dust. It is a very fine powder. I will mix it with vodka and brush it on my cookie.

It is for a christening gown cookie that I want to look like satin.

Thanks!!

TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 11

I'd try it both ways on a scrap piece of fondant. Dry dusting is more subtle than when it is 'wet'.

foxycake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #8 of 11

I just got some pearl dust and was wondering if I have to mix it with vanilla to make it work?

Enchantin-Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:12am
post #9 of 11

Your lustre dust can either be used dry or wet, that is, mixed with alcohol. It all depends on the effect you're trying to create. Sparkle, i believe, is the same as glitters or shimmers or pixie. Yeah? Dab on a little water/glue/shortening on your stuff and just sprinkle it on. otherwise, if you're working on, say beads, after moistening a little, throw the balls in to coat with the stuff. But is sparkle dust same as giltters?

Enchantin-Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:16am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxycake

I just got some pearl dust and was wondering if I have to mix it with vanilla to make it work?

If you're painting, u mix with confectioner's alcohol. Otherwise, brush on dry before your stuff gets real dry and you'll be amazed at what u get!

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 11

i love that stuff! i brush it on right after i cut out my decorations and it looks absolutely beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%