Great New Royal Icing Idea!

Decorating By Marci_Jay Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 5:57pm by jazmincita

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm
post #61 of 141

This is such good information. Thanks to all of you who have done the experimenting for us!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:49pm
post #62 of 141

It is the humidity Marianna, it is not always bad & we have less humidity on Kauai than the other islands, but it does cause the sugar to melt sometimes. There are not many homes in Hawaii that have air conditioning so we are really exposed to the elements inside & out. I have learned to deal with it & have lovely ceiling fans which help a lot.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:38am
post #63 of 141

Any updates or results would be appreciated.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:07am
post #64 of 141

Love, love, love this thread. Will watch for results.

Thanks SO much to tue OP for starting, and all the others who are testing and sharing.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #65 of 141

I did it! I am not the best person to report on it though. I have yet to try a royal icing crown. I did little tiara's for my daughter's cupcakes. I had minimal breakage.

I'm having trouble with posting the pix, my 2 year old son is "helping" me. But it's in my pictures. Cupcakes with tiara's for my daughter's 5th birthday.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:28pm
post #66 of 141

Does anyone have timings on how long you have for all the stages??
Liquid enough to pipe ...
Firm, but soft enough to bend ...
Firm, to stand up ...

This is very interesting - thanks for posting.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:48pm
post #67 of 141

I did it! I am not the best person to report on it though. I have yet to try a royal icing crown. I did little tiara's for my daughter's cupcakes. I had minimal breakage.

I'm having trouble with posting the pix, my 2 year old son is "helping" me. But it's in my pictures. Cupcakes with tiara's for my daughter's 5th birthday.

..I was wondering what brand of GP you used and the measurements?

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #68 of 141

Does anyone have pictures? I haven't gotten around to trying it yet because of stinkin nursing school! I can live vicariously through someone if I saw pictures. I might just rebel against the books and try it tonight. But in the mean time, any pictures?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #69 of 141

Can anyone who tried this using the Wilton gumpaste mix tell us what your results were? I keep putting off buying the mix until I have some feedback on if it worked or not. Thank you.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #70 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Can anyone who tried this using the Wilton gumpaste mix tell us what your results were? I keep putting off buying the mix until I have some feedback on if it worked or not. Thank you.

I make my gumpaste using both the Wilton mix and the CK Products mix, by making two separate batches then kneading them together. I've had great success with that. Both of them individually I find make the petals crack and break too easily, but mixing both gumpastes I've had wonderful results with.

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #71 of 141

thanks everyone

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:39am
post #72 of 141

Any updates on the Wilton version using their gumpaste mix???

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:36am
post #73 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Thanks for sharing, I wonder if this would work for piping messages. My hand writing sucks to begin with, it's worse on a cake.

Unfortunately you cant do the handwriting as it would be a mirror image.. so the words would be backwards when you tried to apply to your cake.. icon_biggrin.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #74 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

Quote:

Thanks for sharing, I wonder if this would work for piping messages. My hand writing sucks to begin with, it's worse on a cake.

Unfortunately you cant do the handwriting as it would be a mirror image.. so the words would be backwards when you tried to apply to your cake.. icon_biggrin.gif

Unless you printed the writing in a mirror image, therefore making it appear correctly once applied. icon_biggrin.gif

OP: Great idea! I might have to give this a try. I'm adding it to my list of "things I have GOT to try."

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #75 of 141

wonderful tip, thanks.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #76 of 141

Very cool

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #77 of 141

I finally got my hands on a package of CK gumpaste, so today might be the day I try this! Superstar, I live in Cancún (and there's a tropical storm forming right over my head as I speak), so I hear you about the humidity - no AC in my kitchen, either! We'll see what happens!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #78 of 141

I love this thread. I can't wait to make a cake and try something out. I guess the guys in the shop may have to eat a girlie cake!!!

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #79 of 141

So, anyone have pictures of the Wilton GP experiments? TIA

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:45pm
post #80 of 141

Ok I am such a newbie I just made the Wilton GP 2cups with 1/3 cup hot water..that was it!! No one said anything about any other ingredients..needless to say it was a MESS!!! So anyone tell me what the ingredients I am supposed to use or follow..Thanks icon_cry.gif feeling like a big loser now!

Yes this was my first time trying RI

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #81 of 141

Has anyone gotten good results with Wilton Gumpaste yet????

cakeymom

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #82 of 141

Waiting for Wilton results & instructions too! icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #83 of 141

Wonderful to know! I just called my local cake supply store to see if they had it all and they do so I will be trying this out tomorrow icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:03pm
post #84 of 141

I just made so spider webs with about 1 1/3 cups of CK gumpaste powder and 1/3 cup of hot water and it turned out great! Now the real test will be tomorrow when I take it off of my parchment paper!

THanks so much OP! I was really worried how I was going to do these spider webs icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

bmarlow001 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #85 of 141

RATS!!!! so I tried to pull my spider webs off of my parchment paper and they are still sticking... did I do something wrong?

wilsonar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilsonar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #86 of 141

Any results on how the technique works with Wilton gumpaste?

Thanks!

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #87 of 141

Thanks for the tip!!

SHAUNADRODDY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHAUNADRODDY Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #88 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

Thanks for the tip!!

i will be wathcing this thread, and trying this out, this weekend! thanks

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #89 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

Quote:

From what I am understanding you peel it off the paper then apply to cake(not flip on the cake then remove paper). If that is correct then you should definitely be able to do writing and it should not be backwards.

Unless I misunderstood, it would be exactly the same as piping write on the cake just there would be a transfer.

Sorry if I am incorrect.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm
post #90 of 141

Here is a link for all that was waiting for replies with Wilton Gumpaste mix(you have to use the powered mix, not the gumpaste in the small bag).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-691099.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%