Three Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By tammy0607 Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm by tammy0607

tammy0607 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy0607 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:29am
post #1 of 5

A friend of mine is making her own wedding cake and wants to do a cheesecake on the first tier then the middle and top tier she wants carrot cake. Is there anything special she should do to support the cake? I wasn't sure if the cheesecake would hold the top two tiers up. Maybe I am wrong. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 5

I'm not personally sure a cheesecake would hold up two tiers on top of it. I would use something like Wilton's Hidden Pillars for a floating effect or maybe another stress free support system where the tires aren't resting on the cake below, but the pillars are bearing the weight of everything else above. (It also eliminates the need for dowel rods, etc if you use this system for each tier.) Just my humble opinion.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:05am
post #3 of 5

The dowels will support the tier above. Hollow plastic dowels are the sturdiest. As long as the bottom cake is dense enough to support the tiers, then it doesn't matter what it's made out of, the dowels hold up the upper tiers.

Refrigeration is more of an issue, though. Most people like to display their wedding cake through the whole reception, and cheesecake can only sit out two to four hours (the shorter time in a warmer room) including travel time to the venue.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:33am
post #4 of 5

What I have been doing lately and people love it is to sandwich the cheesecake in the middle of two cakes. I bake 3 " layer cake, and torte it into 2 equal layers, and then add the cheesecake in between the 2 layers of cake. I add fillings to both sides of the cheesecake. You get the best of both worlds. It works great. Then just treat them the same as any normal cake.

tammy0607 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy0607 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! I have only been making cakes for a little bit and am by no means an expert. (so I couldn't help her to much) I knew you had to put dowels for support but was very unsure of what to do with her cheesecake idea. What an awesome idea cathyscakes! I might have to try that with one of my cakes, sounds so yummy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%