Filling Problems

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 1:48am by Loucinda

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 7

Hi CC'ers,

I always have a problem after i fill my cakes. The filling always oozes out around the cake and causes a ring to form that is visible even when i crumb coat and frost.

Can anyone give me a few pointers on this. BTW I do put some stiffer icing around to form a dam before i fill.

Thanks much!

6 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 7

Are you allowing the cakes to settle before crumb coating and frosting? I also put the dam a little bit inside the edge of the cake....then when I crumb coat, I use that icing to fill in the area that still has no icing there. (I hope that makes sense)

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

what do you mean by letting it settle? do you let it sit by itself, or do you put some weight on it?

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 7

It depends how you do it. Some bakers wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it over night; some use a big cookie sheet to gently press on the top of the cake until the dam reaches the edge so it is immediately settled (I think that is bobwonderbun's method); Leah_s uses a ceramic tile the size of the cake that she puts on top of the (wrapped) cake for a few hours. I have used the cookie sheet method and will be buying various size ceramic tiles to try Leah's method. Today, I filled my Dad's birthday cake; I put a cake lifter on the top along with a ceramic bowl and let it sit for approximately 20 minutes; I then removed the bowl and gently pressed down on the cake lifter until my dam reached the edge. Of course, this cake was staying at my house and Dad loves whatever I do for him! icon_biggrin.gif The cake I did had fresh strawberry filling and I used whipped cream as the dam and the filling did not ooze out.

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 7

thanks guys,

would certainly give them a try........

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 7
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:48am
post #7 of 7

What I do is wrap the cakes in plastic wrap, then I stack them however they will be when the cake is finished. Then when I go to crumb coat, I make sure that that cake that was on the bottom when they were wrapped is the one that is on the bottom when it is done! (I do that for each and every tier) I never have a bulging problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%