Sooo Many Cupcakes!

Baking By saberger Updated 1 May 2010 , 6:39pm by Cathy26

saberger Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 14

I need to know if I can freeze mini cupcakes and the best way to do it. Over three consecutive days I have to make 700 cookies and almost 1500 mini cupcakes. I am on the fence about filling them since I think it will be very time consuming. So, I probably won't. I don't think icing them will take very long. HOWEVER, I rent kitchen space and want to know the best way to freeze mini cupcakes. With regular ones, I wrapped each one individually in plastic wrap, but I am not about to do that for minis. What is the best way to do it and not have them dry out.

TIA

13 replies
Spills Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure the "right" way of freezing cupcakes, but for my regular sized ones I just freeze them in large freezer ziploc bags. I don't find anything wrong with them after doing so and sometimes even find them more moist when thawed and iced.
HTH

cakegrandma Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 14

I always stick my cupcakes in plastic containers and even when I have experimented with different cake recipes I have sliced up what is left over and put it in the plastic containers. I put plastic wrap over the top and frozen them iced and all ready to go, it saves a lot of time, especially with that many. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

amysue99 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 14

Yep. Ziplocks. pack them in there and freeze. Defrost in the bags. Sometimes i open the bag a little to let some of the condensation out as they defrost

saberger Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 14

thanks. Question about using the ziploc bag.....wouldn't the cupcakes stick together? Especially if the tops are touching? Or do I put some sort of liner between them? Do they keep their shape well?

eatmorecakebakery Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 14

how funny! i was about to post something so very similar! i have about 1500 mini cupcakes to bake for friday! they are for samples. so, they have to be perfect.

i had a few different cakes freezing to test my freezing process. after i defrosted 1/2 of a frozen wilton sports ball cake this morning, i noticed that it, for lack of a better word, shrunk. i don't have to worry about how they look as much as how they taste (b/c i'll be cutting them). that cake tasted great!

i'm going to start freezing today. on thursday, i'll defrost a few and see how they taste. if they are not good, i'm just going to start over... i wish my 1500 were for last weekend. i'd be more help!

saberger Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks. I think I may just put them in a box all lined up and then cover with double layer of plastic wrap. I just need a LOT of freezer space this way. icon_sad.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 14

I have frozen mini cupcakes (about 300 of them) for 2 weeks by leaving them on a cookie sheet once baked and cooled and just wrapping the entire cookie sheet with several layers of plastic wrap. I took them out the night before I needed them and the next morning unwrapped the sheet pan and iced them, they were delicious and moist and there were no issues from freezing at all!

Rosey1120 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 14

When I made 225 mini cakes for my daughter's wedding, we placed them in large aluminum tins - like the ones you put the water in on the sterno rack - with covers. I then placed a piece of foam board between the tins to stack them in the freezer without crushing the tops. This was great for transporting them, as well.

saberger Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:37am
post #10 of 14

Thank you very much for the info! Now I can get started icon_smile.gif

Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 14

I agree that the cookie sheet method and the aluminum pan method both sound like winners to me. But cupcakes frozen and thawed are no problem and they will stay moist. I freeze my cupcakes before I ship them and never had a complaint about the cake not being moist or being messed up.. So freezing them is definitely the way to go in your case.

saberger Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 14

Just for others who may read this and have this situation, here is what I ended up doing:

I got those long aluminum containers from Party City that are used for food (above those steamer pans) and have covers. They are a few inches deep. I was able to put 3 layers of mini cuppies on top of each other with plastic wrap in between and then a layer of plastic wrap on top and then the lid. I could pack almost 230 minis in there. So I didn't have to use as many containers. I had about 7 of them. Then when I got to the location, I iced them - which went rather quickly since it was a squirt and a flower on each. I was surprised though at how quick it was to bake that many.

Thanks for all of your info and help!!!

JGMB Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for letting us know how you managed -- it sounds like it worked great!

Cathy26 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I have frozen mini cupcakes (about 300 of them) for 2 weeks by leaving them on a cookie sheet once baked and cooled and just wrapping the entire cookie sheet with several layers of plastic wrap. I took them out the night before I needed them and the next morning unwrapped the sheet pan and iced them, they were delicious and moist and there were no issues from freezing at all!

thats what i do in the shop - just put my cupcakes on a cake board cover in cling film and freeze - they are always perfect and more moist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%