Cupcake Cakes

Baking By just_learnin Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm by minicuppie

just_learnin Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and have never attempted to do a cupcake cake. I am going to try for a little girls first birthday in a few weeks and am looking for any direction or pointers on how to do it. I am wondering how you can ice it so that it looks smooth like a sheet cake instead of cupcakes. I will be using buttercream icing so am just looking for any advice on the easiest and smartest way to go about doing this.
Thank you

4 replies
minicuppie Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 5

This site has a ton of tutorials, including the smoothing of BC. If that doesn't help, order one of Sugar Shack's DVD's on caking techniques. utube is also a great place to find tutorials.

jammjenks Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 5

There are probably several ways to do it, but here's how I do it.

1. Arrange cupcakes very close together and put a dot of icing on the bottom of each one to help hold it in place.

2. Use a regular coupler w/o a tip top apply icing to the tops. Ice over the gaps as if they are not even there.

3. Using an offset spatula, smooth as you normally would.

JGMB Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 5

There's another thread right now asking the same question. It has lots of answers and links to tutorials. HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-675945-.html

minicuppie Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 5

LOL! I read this again and you are making one of those cakes that you arrange the cupcakes in a shape! Thought you were doing one of the huge cupcake cakes from a mold!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%