White Chocolate Ganache

Baking By DanaG21 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm by DebbyJG

DanaG21 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 14

I've got a red velvet cake due - stacked gift boxes and I'm thinking that a white chocolate ganache might be better under my fondant than the cream cheese frosting. Does any one have a good recipe? Thanks.

13 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 14

This recipe is for semi-sweet chocolate ganache but it has instructions for white chocolate underneath it (you basically just double the chocolate amount).

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2116/chocolate-ganache-1

I bet the red velvet will taste delicious with the white chocolate ganache.

DanaG21 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks I will give it a try!

jerseygirlNga Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 14

If you used the white chocolate ganache, please post the results here. I may just use. I had a request for white chocolate mousse filling and hoping that will translate to whipped ganache. Are you planning on covering with fondant? I have my cake due next weekend. so looking for help.

DanaG21 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 14

The cake is due Sunday so I will post results. I am planning on covering with fondant - they will be stacked gift boxes and I'm hoping for really crisp edges! If I have some ganache left I'll even try whipping it to see how it turns out.

Roxybc Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 14

I'd also like to use white chocolate ganache under fondant on a practice cake I'm making this weekend, so if I do I'll post my thoughts on here as well. Quick question though - what kinf of white chocolate should I use? Is white baking chocolate ok, or does it have to be a certain type of tempered or untempered white chocolate from a baking supply store? And just to clarify, we're not talking white chocolate chips are we?

DanaG21 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 14

Great question Roxybc. I planned on using either Guittard white choc chips or the wafers. I will need to look at the cocoabutter for each and see what the differences are. I think white baking chocolate would be fine to, but I've never tried it either..... Maybe someone with more experience will chime in? I'll be making mine on Friday or Saturday so I'll post as soon as I have success!

Roxybc Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 14

So I made the white chocolate ganache yesterday, and it was so easy to make. (I used white baking chocolate) After stiring the chocolate and cream mixture until smooth I put it in the fridge overnight. I kept on checking it when it was in the fridge to see how the consistancy changed. In the morning it had a solid, but soft consistancy if that makes sense. Very similar to the center of a room temperature white chocolate Lindt truffle - YUM! In the morning since it was too stiff to cover a cake with, I re-heated it in a double boiler and stirred until I got it back to the right consistancy for pouring. I dumped it over the top of my cake and helped to push it down the sides with an angled spatula. It covered my cake fairly easily, but I was covering the ridged bottom of a giant cupcake, so the ganache really just ran down the ridges, but I used my spatula to help spread it on the outer ridges. After I got it all smooth I covered it with fondant and it stuck wonderfully! Now I have a ton of left over ganache!

DebbyJG Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for posting your results. Question for you- I've been wondering how people respond to a cake with just a thin layer of ganache under fondant. Do you then put a creme filling in between layers? I like the idea of a smoother, crisp surface for my fondant, but I always dislike going to weddings where the cake has no frosting, so I generally put a good smathering of bc under my fondant and haven't tried ganache.

jerseygirlNga Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 14

I've read a post on CC once that said they used BC in between the layers and poured the ganache over, rather than a crumb coat. I defer to the more experienced. I've never worked with a ganache before.

Rosie2 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 14

I always use white chocolate ganache under fondant and it always helps for a smooth look however I still can't get crisp edges....I will continue practicing.

Roxybc Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

Thanks for posting your results. Question for you- I've been wondering how people respond to a cake with just a thin layer of ganache under fondant. Do you then put a creme filling in between layers? I like the idea of a smoother, crisp surface for my fondant, but I always dislike going to weddings where the cake has no frosting, so I generally put a good smathering of bc under my fondant and haven't tried ganache.

To be honest, it didn't taste that great with the MMF over it without any buttercream. It was ok, but not great. I think next time I'd use buttercream again.

DanaG21 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 14

I also made white chocolate ganache. I did not like the recipe I used (Ghiredelli chips and cream). RoxyBC if you'd be willing to share that would be great. I also didn't make enough so had to use too sparingly. I think part of my problem is that I'm not a fan of white chocolate myself so maybe I will never like it? I haven't gotten feed back from my friend on if she liked the cake or not but I'm anxious to hear. And as with Rosie2 I did not get the crisp edges I was hoping for. More practice for me too!

DebbyJG Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

I haven't gotten feed back from my friend on if she liked the cake or not but I'm anxious to hear.

That's how I am with every cake I make. I wish I could write into my contract "you must contact me within two days to let me know if you liked the cake!" icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%