Selling Homemade Truffles?

Sugar Work By jolmk Updated 22 Nov 2013 , 12:49am by liz at sugar

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone sold their truffles? Most truffles have a ganache type center and ganache is a perishable product, so do you add a preservative of some kind or just inform the person buying them that they are only shelf stable for a certain time?

Thanks for any help
Jo

6 replies
luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

I don't sell my truffles but I would if someone wanted to buy them. I have given them as gifts, though, and I just let them know that they are only good for a certain amount of time and that they need to be refridgerated.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 7

How much would you sell them for, and do you have a good recipe?

luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 7

Who? Lol

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 7

When it comes to what I charge for my items, I cost them out. Add up all the cost of ingredients to make a recipe, divide by how many items you get from that recipe, then add in your charge for time etc. Each recipe could be different depending on what is in it. If you have ever made chocolates by hand you will know how much time is involved. Also demographics play a big part, I charge more than the local grocery store, but not too much still have to stay competitive. If you live in a small town you probably won't be able to charge big city price. Still working on recipes.

Jo

SweetSinsationz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSinsationz Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 7

so how much do you charge? do you charge by the lb, or by units?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 12:49am
post #7 of 7

In many states, you need to a have a state certified and inspected scale to sell by the pound (or by weight in general).  You may be better off selling by the piece.

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%