Bakels Pettinice Vs Fondx - What's Your Preference?

Business By Cakepro Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 3:08am by princesscris

Cakepro Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 10

Just curious as to how many bakeries use Pettinice fondant over FondX. I recently tasted Pettinice fondant and thought it to be quite fabulous. The person who was using it told me that although it stays soft on cake, it elephant-skinned pretty quickly. After years of using Satin Ice, I recently switched to FondX because it tastes SO much better and it's so soft that I can roll it much thinner than Satin Ice. It doesn't skin up as quickly as Satin Ice used to.

I'm about to order a couple hundred pounds of fondant and was wondering about others' opinions. Please share! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
itsacake Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 10

I've used Satin Ice, FondX, Massa, and Pettinice and prefer Pettinice.

Cakepro Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! Do you happen to know of a cheaper online wholesaler of Pettinice than CK? They have 3 - 15# pails for $31.xx per pail.

I loved using Massa but wow that stuff's expensive.

itsacake Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 10

$31.00 per 15# is actually quite a good price. I'm not seeing it. Can you show me the URL?

Cakepro Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 10

You have to have a wholesale account set up with CK and must log in with your account # to see their price list online.

itsacake Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 10

I usually do my wholsale locally with Qzina and Marque Foods because CK has almost no kosher ingredients, but that price on Pettinice is really good, so maybe I should set up an account.

Is it the Country Kitchen SweetArt website you go to to set it up or somewhere else?

Cakepro Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 10

I believe so.

jennywenny Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 10

I use fondx because it is the cheapest I can get but I love the pettinice. Or at least I did until I realized it was from new zealand and I'm in california. My morals wont allow me to ship sugar across the pacific ocean!

Cakepro Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 10

Why do your morals prevent you from ordering a product that (possibly) originated in New Zealand? I find it hard to believe that Pettinice is not manufactured in the US because shipping would cause the product to be quite expensive (such as Massa from the UK). I haven't done any research on this, obviously, so it could very well be produced in NZ and imported here...but in any case, I'm curious as to your statement. icon_smile.gif

princesscris Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 10

Bakels is from New Zealand, but I'm sure the Pettinice I buy is manufactured in Australia (I'm Australian) - they certainly have a factory in Sydney. It's possible that they also manufacture in the US. The lower cost of the product could be because of the exchange rate.

All the best,

Quote by @%username% on %date%