Gumpaste Figure Collapsing-Help!

Decorating By mahlmann Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm by mahlmann

mahlmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahlmann Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 9

Help! I am trying to make a hot tub cake and and learning to make gumpaste figures. I made the heads and the torso last night. When I got up this morning the heads had sunk into the torso sideways making the neck disappear. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to make the head and torso and let each dry before attaching? I am also noticing cracks - is this from too much molding? Thanks!!

8 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 9

Do let them dry a bit first, yes, though there are several things you can try. I usually put a toothpick inthrough the middle of the figure, the neck, and the head, to support the shape, and then I put them all together once they've set (but not dried), and let it rest on its side propped up, so the head doesn't sink into the neck and flatten it before it has the chance to dry completely (but propped up so that it doesn't flatten the side of the head you are lying it on). You can stick your toothpick into foam or even a glob of gumpaste while the figurine dries (you may have to use a skewer instead of a toothpick if your figurine is larger). HTH ... good luck!

mahlmann Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I will try that!

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 9

I use a peice of dry spagheti instead of a toothpick, in case a child gets hold of it, the spagheti wont taste good but it wont harm anyone. hth

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 9

I use spaghetti also. Anie 2 always says put the head on the torso and leave to dry but do not put on any hair, hats etc as the extra weight is too much

mahlmann Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks! Jayne1873 - Should I wait until they have dried overnight to add hair on them?

Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 9

In the tutorial I got from Lorraine (aine2) it says to make the torso, leave it dry overnight with a piece of spaghetti down through the neck. Then the next day make the head and attach it. Let dry overnight again. The next day add the hair or hats. Basically you should plan on three days for completing a figure. Hope that helps!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 9

I know many people use Gumpaste for modelling figures but I personally don't recommend it. It dries too quickly and doesn't allow you the same play time before it starts to dry out. If you mix Tylopur with ready made fondant, such as Satin Ice, Pettinice, Wilton or any other brand that I may not know then you will have a more pliable and easier to use modelling paste. You can also mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant but this isn't something that I do...it's all about finding what is best for you as everyone is different in their working. Yes...leave models to dry in between stages. Patience and time are required when making models, as well as some support like dried spaghetti. I mainly use toothpicks to support the heads of my models as long as you make sure you let the customer know that the piece is not entirely edible. Hair, hats or any other added weight should be left off a newly added head until it is completely dry. thumbs_up.gif

mahlmann Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the advice! I will try something different than gumpaste.....I have noticed how quick it dries and think that may be the cause of the cracking. I am excited to post pictures for everyone to see when it's done!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%