I Don't Know If I Can Do That?!

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 2:31am by tatorchip

jonahsmom Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 32

Okay all you wonderful, wonderful ladies and gents! HELP!!!!!!

I always do my nieces and nephews b'day cakes and this is what my nephew wants for his cake! icon_eek.gif How the heck?

(I really want to be able to do it because it would look awesome in my pics if I can pull it off!!!!)
LL

31 replies
multilayered Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 32

I think you can do it!! I would make the base the cake and the shoes ,helmet, and gun rkt covered in fondant with a support dowel for the gun.It will look super cool in your picksicon_smile.gifGood Luck!

mommyle Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 32

I would honestly think that the cake is the base, and the rest is all RKT and a long wooden dowel with a platform screwed to it, then either more cake or RKT. think of Duff and how he loves power tools!

Bonnell Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 32

Well, if I was doing this cake (thank goodness I'm not) here is what I would do:

The base would of course be the actual cake
The boots would be modeled out of GP (I think there are instructions somewhere on here for that)
The rifle I would model out of RKT covered in modeling chocolate around a support pole
The helmet I would make from pastillage so it would be a little stronger. I would probably model it over a large bowel turned upside down (covered in plastic wrap 1st)

I'm no expert like some on here but that is how I would attempt it.

Good luck and can't wait to see the pics.

AKS Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 32

Good thinking, Bonnell!

jonahsmom Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 32

I'll definitely be making the base the actual cake part. I had thought of molding the rest out of gumpaste, but definitely the RKT is the way to go. Much lighter!!!!

Yeah, so this is super scary, but I totally WANT to do it! I say that now, when I'm not actually in the middle of it. We'll see how I feel about it WHILE I'm doing it!!!

His birthday is just one week after my son's birthday. He wants a tornado. I had already thought it would be cool to make the tornado actually spin...now I have to! I can't do something completely cool for my nephew and NOT have my son's tornado spinning!!!!

So, June looks to be an interesting month for me!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!!! (Oh, and any tips on how to make a tornado spin would be super awesome, too!)

Joyfull4444 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 32

My opinion only. I'm probably in the minority here but this is a fallen soldier memorial scupture. It was made for people to remember and pay thier respects for the sarifices soldiers have made.
Turning this memorial into a BD cake and cutting it up like an everyday cake, to me would be disrepectful.

Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

My opinion only. I'm probably in the minority here but this is a fallen soldier memorial scupture. It was made for people to remember and pay thier respects for the sarifices soldiers have made.
Turning this memorial into a BD cake and cutting it up like an everyday cake, to me would be disrepectful.

I so agree with all you have said Joyfull.
This Month here in Australia marks our ANZAC Day - 26th April
All the Australians and New Zelanders who fell during the 2nd World War.
Millions of those living in this country stand at 4.30am waiting for dawn in silence - at a War Memorial near them - that is when on Anzac day we say *thankyou* to those who went before us and gave thier lives so as we could live free.

Like every other country around the world the sign of the helmet/Austalian slouch hat resting on a rifle, is a sign of a soliders death but more importantly marks the grave of the *Unknown Solider*
No way would you ever see such a cake here in Australia.

It represents nothing else but what i have written above -

Perhaps just boots and a helmet would be more applicable -

We in Australia and the rest of the World forever see in the movies and hear from those in power about how Patriotic the USA is -
But in reality - no more so than any other country.

The rest of the World do it with dignity - not whipping up a cake that resembles something so humbling of a time past.

Like me, many CC's live in a free country - and that picture is the reason why.

Sorry jonahsmom - perhaps you didn't have many past family members fall in all the Wars - or suffer in POW camps for years - perhaps you are too young to remember ........ but i find it distastefull.

And for those of you who are about to tell me - *its just cake*
Yes, it is - but its what that cake represents.

My signiture for April says it all.

Bluehue

cakesbymindysue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 32

I agree with Joyfull and Bluehue. My husband is in the military and we found out yesterday a friend of ours lost their life. I wouldn't even want that as cake at a memorial, much less a birthday party. There are plenty of other things military related to make as cake.

7yyrt Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 32
HobbyCaker Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 32

Having two sons in the Miltary in different branches, one recently back safely from a tour in Iraq, and who have both lost friends and fellow soldiers, I feel that replicating the Fallen Soldier Memorial in cake would be very distasteful and disrespectful of those in the military who have lost their lives. Please find another design, out of respect for these brave men and women.

Bonnell Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 32

I totally see the point about it being disrespectful. Perhaps you could change the arrangement so it isn't an exact replica. Perhaps laying the rifle and helmet down onto the base instead of standing up and changing up the shape of the base would change it enough that no one would be offended but you would still be showing the sentiment and respect deserved.

Bonnell Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 32

For the question about making the tornado spin, I've seen small battery operated turntables to put under cake toppers. Perhaps you can use that.

LindseyLoocy Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture. I'm curious as to how old your nephew is and if he understands what the statue represents. Sure it would be impressive to achieve with cake, but there are some things that should be off limits due to respect. Just my two cents.

sweetartbakery Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 32

wow, I would have never known exactly what this arrangement meant if it weren't for people you guys mentioning it. Maybe the kid didn't know either and just thought it looked "cool" on it's own. After knowing the meaning, I couldn't make it either for a celebration. OP, let us know what you decide. Little did you know that there is more dilema than just the art of making the cake!

mim1106 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 32

I thought the same thing...my husband has been deployed three times already. I would never want to see this in person honoring him, much less cake form. hope your nephew finds something he thinks is "cooler"

sari66 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 32

Sorry but I wouldn't make that cake for a young man's birthday party. All of my Uncles served in Vietnam and my Father in WWII so seeing that at a party would be unsettling.

jonahsmom Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #18 of 32

Wow. I did NOT see that coming! Please don't assume that I haven't known anyone who has fought for our country. Actually, I have cousins and friends that are over there right now (for the second time) and I have an uncle that was a paratrooper in Desert Storm. My nephew's step-dad was a marine and he has cousins that are also in the service. And my brother-in-law is a marine and was also in Desert Storm.

I don't honestly see any of them being offended by this. And I don't know how much thought was put into choosing this as a design. Like I said, his step-dad was a marine so they may have already had this discussion, I don't know.

Please remember...this design was NOT my idea. But I will bring it up to my former sister-in-law (good conversation, I'm sure!) to see what she says.

Doug Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 32

add another voice to DON'T

----

a birthday cake is meant to celebrate a year of life completed and year of potential yet to come.

this statue memorializes death given such that we might have life

-----------

I wouldn't be to sure about the relatives -- I'd ask them first instead of speaking for them (one of my all time pet peeves when some else does speaks for me or thinks for me)

----

Please go beyond discussion with former SIL to include the nephew and use it as a time to teach him why we memorialize the dead and especially our fallen soldiers, and what are the good, right, proper ways of doing this.

----

making this into a cake is not good, not right, nor proper.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #20 of 32

I guess I don't understand why it would be offensive if they were honoring fallen soldiers at the party...maybe they just wanted to remember any relatives currently overseas...maybe its a favorite statue of the boy and he wants to join the military and fight for his country.

I don't know why it would be any worse than making a replica of some other favorite person or animal or anything, and then cutting it up and eating it...a cake just symbolizes something you love.

I can see both sides but if the customer wants it, I don't see why it would be a crime to make it.

Maybe a stressful cake week is just making me contrary. haha.

jonahsmom Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #21 of 32

I lean more toward your line of thinking Kitagirl. I absolutely see both sides. He really is a very patriotic and military oriented little boy. Perhaps because of the people in our lives who currently serve.

That said, I've talked with my former SIL and she is going to talk to my nephew, step-dad, cousin in the military and my brother to see if he still wants to this specific cake or if he decides to change it up at all.

Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #22 of 32

Perhaps some just do not understand or grasp the differance between -
celebrating -.......... remembering ....................and rememberance.

How sad.

Is there nothing left that is sacred these days.....or is the *i want that for my portfolio* all too important and self serving.

Maybe some need to stop and think how and why they live in a *free* country and reflect on how that came to be.

I understand jonahsmom that you did not choose the cake, but you do have the choice whether to make it.

It not a matter of who's relative is where and fighting what cause -
The matter is - they are - and may the words LEST WE FORGET never be inscribed on their head stone.
For if it is - there won't be any more birthday cakes for that person...
just rememberance and remembering a life that went to early for your freedom.

And if that doesn't sink in then nothing i say or any of the other icon_surprised.gif CC;s -....................... then nothing will.

Bluehue

7yyrt Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #23 of 32

We make cakes and cookies with coffins at Halloween; but those are in a funny manner, usually spoofing a movie genre.
-
This is a serious memorial.
I would be as offended at this as I am those cakes with a religion's sacred person's 3D body being carved and eaten.
Others may not feel that way, but it's difficult to gauge one's audience at times.

jonahsmom Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #24 of 32

I edited my original post - I'm not going to get drawn in by BlueHue and get myself kicked off CC.

It is being worked on with my sister-in-law to see about a different design. The discussion should be over...no more judging Alyssa because she asked a structural question. Geesh.

liha21 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #25 of 32

Let me just say that there are a lot of us out there that are very nieve (sp?) I would have had no idea at all that it would be offensive to make this into a cake. Now that it has been said, I understand, but like I said, I would have had no idea. But also, what is offensive to me, may or may not be offensive to you, and visa versa. sometimes we just don't put a lot of thought into things before we do them.

7yyrt Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #26 of 32

In all fairness to Bluehue above, she is reacting to the original UNEDITED POST, not the edited version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

Okay all you wonderful, wonderful ladies and gents! HELP!!!!!!

I always do my nieces and nephews b'day cakes and this is what my nephew wants for his cake! icon_eek.gif How the heck?

(I really want to be able to do it because it would look awesome in my pics if I can pull it off!!!!)

And with that, I leave this thread.

Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

Sorry - but you did say this.

I edited my original post - I'm not going to get drawn in by BlueHue and get myself kicked off CC.

I would surely hope that you or i do not get kicked off CC because of this thread.. because of what you wrote to me............. and then edited.
Nor what i have typed.

All that i have typed - i stand by -
you posted a thread on an open forum - i along with others read it - and i posted my thoughts on the subject - again, i stand by my convictions and what i have typed.

I did read your last post before you edited - and as i have quoted above - you did say that.

If you believe i ripped into you - that is your perogative -
Perhaps if i had of used softer tones - that would have been acceptable by you....?

My perogative is that, i find the idea of making a cake of that memorial distasteful....and in my second post i laid out as to why.

Again, i see no reason as to why either of us would be kicked off CC.
I have no quarms with you - just the logic of a child wanting a cake that represents more than he might understand.

Your post (before you edited it) did not dent me - i am not made of fluff and bubble - they were your thoughts at the time - i accept that.

We have two options -
Move on from this thread or *debate* the reasons behind it.

I dont think you wish to hear any more from me on the matter - and to be honest - i have said all i need to say.

Take care - enjoy your day and lets agree to disagree.

Bluehue.

Doug Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Perhaps some just do not understand or grasp the differance between -
celebrating -.......... remembering ....................and rememberance.

precisely.

as for what to do:

a cake that CELEBRATES the military.

could do a Marine Logo cake or Army or Air Force or Navy or National Guard or Coast Guard or even one that combines elements of all them

could do a flag -- a stars and stripes theme

could do a fighter jet or a tank or a humvee or....

or a uniform

or ......

MANY MANY options other than duplicate a sacred memorial to the sacrifices of the dead.

jonahsmom Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #29 of 32

Yes BlueHue. Agree to disagree. I'm not even saying that I disagree with WHY you feel the cake is disrespectful. My first post after all the disrespectful, distasteful comments I think reflects that I understood where everyone was coming from. And the fact that I even brought it up to my sister-in-law as something that should be considered, I think further shows that I completely understand that.

Saying things like, "How sad." and "if that doesn't sink in" only serves to make someone feel less than. I'm not saying walk on egg shells or use kid gloves, but did the thread really warrant acting that way? I don't think so.

You are absolutely correct that this is an open forum. Open for everyone to comment. And when I said that it would look good in my portfolio, I meant it, but keep in mind that I said that BEFORE I knew that some people would be offended by such a cake. I didn't think that it would open up to something for people to be offended about. Had that thought occurred to me in the first place, I would have questioned my SIL when she asked for the cake. It did not ever occur to me that this cake would be offensive in any way until after people here on CC said that THEY were offended.

Would I want something in my portfolio that many would consider offensive? No. Would I want something showing increasing skills? Yes. I think you twisted what I originally said to suit your argument. It would still be impressive in my portfolio, technically speaking, but its not worth it if it turns off prospective clients. I hope you understand what I mean.

And as many people who HAVE been kicked off lately, I just don't want to say anything that crosses the line that they've drawn. I love coming here for inspiration and help when I need it.

jonahsmom Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #30 of 32

7yyrt...I didn't edit my original post that started this thread. The original post at the start of this thread is exactly the same as it was when I first posted it. I know I said "original post" but I meant the one right after her last post (about "how sad" etc). Not the right choice of words on my part...but it made sense in my head.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%