Can I Carve A Tres Leches Cake

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 12:47pm by snowshoe1

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 4

Hi - I have a client that is requesting several carved cakes. One of the types of cake he would like is a Tres Leches cake. Help! I've never made one and it seems by soaking the cake so much I would not be able to carve this....? Has anyone else had experience with this cake and if so, will you please share your tips.

One of the items on the display will be a shoe box, so I'm thinking maybe I can use that flavor for the shoe box, but does the cake hold up well under fondant?

Also, what is a killer filling for this? Caramel?

Any input will be most appreciated as this is a very special client and I want everything perfect!! Thanks.

3 replies
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't carve a Tres Leches cake, too wet, but very delish. Probably my most fav cake.

Does it need a filling? It is sinfully delish the way it is. I call it my diabetic comma cake.

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 4

No, do not carve a tres leche cake.

It's best that you tell the client what works for sculpting. There are many flavors that won't work simply because they are too soft or too moist.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the info - that's what I assumed, but wanted to double check before I got back to him! Looks like I'll need to make one for myself to eat up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%