Hello! Is There Anybody On My Side Of The Pond?

Decorating By jennynib Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm by JenniferMI

jennynib Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:01am
post #1 of 13

Hello!

Just wondering if there were any other Irish cake enthusiasts out there? Sugar craft is just getting off the ground over here and I haven't met anybody in my wee spot yet! I'm in Barrowhouse village, Co. Laois.

Jenny icon_smile.gif

PS Ooh! I've blocked a word! What did I say? It's not a bad word over here - it's a description of cake decorating! icon_redface.gif

12 replies
KarmaStew Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:09am
post #2 of 13

Apparently it's a bad word on this site, 'cause it's ALWAYS [blocked]!!!

I was on Ireland last summer.

jennynib Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:17am
post #3 of 13

Well, if it's a bad word, I'll be sure to use it! My family are getting very bored of SUGARPLUM!!! Usually screamed at the top of my voice when my fondant tears! LOL!

Where did you visit in Ireland? I'm trying to find other cake decorating novices in my general area but the Su-ga-rc-ra-ft scene seems confined to Dublin and Cork - both quite far from me!

JenniferMI Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 13

I'm not on your side of the pond, but coming over there soon! Going to Dublin....very excited!

The word you used is not a bad word, but it is banned because it's the name of a business name that is banned from this board. You didn't do anything wrong, not to worry.

Welcome!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

jayne1873 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 13

I am in the UK so not as far away as some on here.

Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 13

Not Ireland, but still your side of the world, im from the UK lol icon_smile.gif welcome to CC btw. Cake decorating is quite popular in my area, but i don't have any caking friends, this is a great place to share your passions with like minded people icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 13

look for the british - blocked word - guild, they are great,a nd have a message board. just worth looking at too, although the site lacks the mod cons this one has, lol. looks like its too far for you to travel, but i bet something goes on near you... or, they can maybe help you start your own!
xx

jennynib Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 13

Hello everyone! *waving*

LOL! Oops, I expect it was very naughty of me to hyphenate then! icon_twisted.gif

I get a magazine from the UK every month - your (naughty word) culture is booming. I expect I'll have to boom along by myself for a bit until a lost cake decorater wanders into the Midlands... LOL!

I cannot believe I haven't found CC until today! The cakes! The tutorials! The recipes! The other cake people!! icon_eek.gif

I can see that my housework is going to go to Hell from today...

Jenny x

Jennifer - I'm from Dublin originally! I warn you, though - everybody will be Hell bent on getting you drunk and up dancing! Be very careful! icon_biggrin.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 13

Perhaps youve just never come across any other decorators in your area, i didn't realise how many there was in mine till i signed up for a class that had an 8 month waiting list! i had to go down to the store 4 hours before it opened to be 3rd in line! lol, i just had an amusing thought of using a lonely hearts column, but for cake decorators instead lol

housework . . . what is that?! lol

jennynib Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 13

I had intended on going to a class, but they're all so far away and NOBODY teaches the Wilton method here. In the whole country!

I'm learning the old fashioned way - trial and error and volunteering for every family cake and bake sale I can get my hands on! It's coming along, I'm being named for committees left, right and centre just so I'll bake a raffle cake and I made my first actual PAID cake a couple of weeks ago! Stress? Oh, yes...

I'm having a rare time going through the tutorials on here, though. Such beautiful work! I'm doing a cake in the shape of our village school (oldest school in the country!) for the 24th. I think it will be alright as it's just a geometric shape with lots of 'fussing' over details - my fave! I had a notion of making a humourous character of the principal and three teachers, although I've only taken very tentative steps in modelling. Any tips ladies?

Jen x

Irish_Sue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 13

Hey,
I'm pretty new here (long-time lurker though) and I am from 'our' side of the pond icon_smile.gif
I'm from Galway myself but living in Cardiff now which is a bit better for cakes - our local council has lots of adult education classes and cake decorating is one of them and something I do on a regular basis.

I don't do paid cakes yet because I don't have the time to commit to it and at the moment I am building a recipe and flavour combination selection and trying to figure out which areas of decorating I like the best and do well - so lets just say my office love Monday mornings icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

rainbow_kisses Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 13

HI! I am from England, ancesteral Irish icon_lol.gif My grandfather was from North Tipparary, That is not far from you I think.
You might find it difficult to find Wilton instructors in any part of the UK as it is not how we do things. I do private lessons and they can be very popular. I have been decorating for about 17 years, but just do it now as a hobby.
Welcome to CC. icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 13

Jenny -

I was laughing when I read your post..... my husband says to ask if that's a promise! LOL!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%