Any Other "poor" College Students Out There?

Decorating By melamel Updated 23 May 2010 , 8:13am by LaBoulangerie

melamel Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:31am
post #1 of 28

I'm a Pre-Medicine, Biology major with Math and Chemistry minors... AND I'm highly addicted to cakes and CC, meaning NO SLEEP.

So I'm trying to find others in the same boat.

Are you a college student too with a cake/CC addiction?

Are you a Hobbyist or money-maker?

Hobbyists: how do you fund your addiction?

Money-makers: where do you find the time???? do you sleep?

I'm interested to hear from you. Please tell me that I'm not alone icon_biggrin.gif

27 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:59am
post #2 of 28

Not sure of your age, but try doing it at 50 years old when your energy level just isn't what it used to be! icon_eek.gif

I closed my shop this past Nov and started back to school this past January (working on a history teaching degree). Full time. Also work a night job at a hotel .... almost full time (28 to 38 hrs a week). It's VERY common for me to go 25 and 38 hours with zero or just 2-3 hours sleep (did that just yesterday .... again!)

Hubby worries about me (bless his heart!). Says I always push myself too hard and "take on more than the avg person can handle". I take that as a big compliment. icon_biggrin.gif

I pretty much only do cakes for grandkids birthdays anymore. I've had lots of requests for cakes but always give my speech of "it is illegal for me to sell a cake that is made from home." I'm doing my son's wedding cake in October.

I find it all worth it. Becoming a teacher is the last thing on my "do before I die" list. I consider myself so fortunate that I've been able to fulfill a number of life dreams and am working on another one!

Keep plugging away! We can suffer through anything for a couple of years! thumbs_up.gif

Odyssey Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 28

I am another poor college student addicted to caking. I just finished the Wilton courses a month or so ago and I still look for any excuse to do a cake. I made one Friday night for a Saturday picnic with my German club. I was trying new recipes for this one.

I think the only reason I can afford this is because I live with my family. I've got another cake coming up on the 29th since I'll be visiting my sister 2 hours away and she hasn't gotten to try my cakes. I'll be taking her "order" later today, so I can play with ideas. I think I want to practice on a shaped cake next since I'll be doing one in August.

It's exhausting, expensive, but boy is it fun.

kitty122000 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 28

poor college student... checking in!

I'm taking 16 credits again this term. I'm a mom to a 3 year old and a 5 year old. I got my kitchen licensed in early february. I wont take more than two cakes per week, and most weeks I only have one. I'm not really making any money at this point, my husband's paycheck and my student loans are what we are living off of. And we have some $ in savings from our recent tax refund. Times can be pretty tough though.

tguegirl Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 28

Poor law student here! I love making cakes, but what really gets me is not the money but the time. I usually have people buy me ingredients and I'll just make the cake. But I can't find a way to get enough time to make the cakes I want to make. Between reading 100 pages per night, journal work, working pro bono to get refugees asylum, and writing my 50-page comment, I never have time to do cakes anymore!

Oh well, I think the 2nd year of law school is the worst. Next year, I should have less classes and more time to bake! I have to cram it in while I can because I know I definitely won't have time for cakes when I'm working in a big firm in New York City. They work you 100 hours/week!

mim1106 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 28

poor nursing student here! I used to spend more time on CC than studying, but this semester is kicking my butt! I am a hobbyist....I have no idea where I get the funds. I just can't seem to say no, though! I have laid off CC a lot in the past couple weeks because mainly my statistics class, but I am taking four classes total. I have two tests tomorrow...yet here I am! LOL

indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 28
Originally Posted by mim1106

I have two tests tomorrow...yet here I am! LOL

icon_lol.gif I'm so there! I have a 9 page draft paper due Tuesday (working on it now between CC emails!) I have a 8 page paper due Sat that I haven't even started (yet here I am!). I have a small book I have to have read for a test in two weeks (haven't opened the book yet .... but I'm a speed reader so I can have it read in a couple of hours).

I consider CC my "smoke break" time! icon_biggrin.gif

melamel Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 28

awwww all of you just made my day! I'm sooooo glad I'm not alone. I have a 10 chapter Histology exam tomorrow, a 9 chapter Psychology exam on Tuesday, and an English presentation on Wednesday (yet here I am!)

indydebi- I'm 20-years old and in my second year of college. I think it's so awesome that you're back in school and fulfilling another dream. I hope to one day accomplish as much as you have icon_smile.gif

Odyssey- I live with my family too, and I'm thankful they're supportive of my education and of my hobbies. I feel guilty, though, because I'm like a leech here at home haha

kitty122000- thank God school doesn't last forever! hang in there!

tguegirl and mim1106- Oh my, I can't even begin to imagine how I'll survive in medical school.

LaBoulangerie Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 28

Another poor college student here! I am a French and film major! After I move back from France and graduate, I am going to culinary school, lol. I am going to be in school for quite a while, ugh. I run my own cake decorating business, my days are usually crazy busy, but I still find some time for CC icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #10 of 28

I just finished a 15 page paper, a short assignment, and worked as far as I can get on my own for my accounting homework. My first accounting test for the quarter is this week so I'll be hitting that hard all week. This is my third accounting class and every one has required about 6 hours a day of studying and working on it so I can get the grade I want.

I'm actually thankful I haven't found a "real" job yet. I don't know how I do it, school, and cake at the same time. Huge kudos to those of you who can manage it!

sweetflowers Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 28

Not a poor college student, but a poor parent putting 2 son's through college. I have 5 jobs, so no time or money for anything. A least one of my jobs is teaching cake decorating, so I get to satisfy my addiction that way. One of my other jobs is a computer programmer, so I get to sneak on here too and browse...shhhhh....don't tell.

sweettooth88 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 28

Another poor college kid. I am a junior in college taking 18 hours and i work full time for an oil company. I am really lucky school comes easy for me otherwise i would never be able to bake!!!

foxymomma521 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 28
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

Not a poor college student, but a poor parent putting 2 son's through college. I have 5 jobs, so no time or money for anything. A least one of my jobs is teaching cake decorating, so I get to satisfy my addiction that way. One of my other jobs is a computer programmer, so I get to sneak on here too and browse...shhhhh....don't tell.

What a good momma! I think it's AWESOME that you work so hard for your kids!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CeeTee Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #14 of 28

Not quite a poor college student anymore. I had to put my paralegal studies on hold because I had to get a pay cut and they laid off so many folks. (I work for CPS. Fry cooks at McDonalds make more money than CPS workers do here in this state icon_sad.gif )

Jayde Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #15 of 28

ME as well! I have 15 credit hours this semester, a 4 year old a 6 year old, and a part time bakery job.

I have three papers due on Monday and Tuesday of next week and a huuuge test on Wednesday. I consider caking to be my release for the real world. And again here I am rather than doing my homework and I havent started ANY of those papers.

Debi I was thinking about you the other day, how are you liking the college scene?

rikkijo314 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #16 of 28

I am a poor college student (also going for a teaching degree in history- another reason I can love Indydebi) plus I have a 2 year old daughter and another one on the way. The only way I can get any cakes done is because my husband is just as obsessed with cakes as I am and he is so supportive! I just do it for fun and only when the money allows... Every once in a while things get stretched a little thin because I find a cake that "I just have to make!"

dacash Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:47am
post #17 of 28

Not a poor college student, but a poor full time employed person here. I work 45-50 hours/week and make cakes in my spare time for friends and family (approx. two per week). I am also addicted!! It takes a lot out of me, but I am slowly purchasing equipment so that someday I can quit my job & open my own cake shop. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end!!

ayerim979 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #18 of 28

I really admire you all.

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #19 of 28
Originally Posted by Jayde

Debi I was thinking about you the other day, how are you liking the college scene?

I was initially worried about being "the gramma" in class .... would the 20-somethings take me serious as a student? They really are pretty awesome, and I do have some folks close to my age (although I'm still "the gramma"!). I've already given the copyright violation speech and more than once, raised my hand and challenged them, "OK....all of us who were actually ALIVE and remember when it actually happened, raise your hand!!!" as I sit there being the only one with a raised hand! icon_lol.gif I've used the "Since I'm the only one in this room who has actually had to MEET a payroll.......!" line in political science and in history class to debate a business issue. So life experience does count for something!! thumbs_up.gif

Even tho' I'm just tired all the time .... I really do look forward to going in every day! thumbs_up.gif

EvMarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #20 of 28

Well, I WAS a poor college student working my hiney off in retail. Got the degree, got a couple great jobs....well on my way to not being poor ever again & happened. Let's just say "I ran from the cubicle". Almost literally. I had enough one day of corporate life. The rat race will just have to do with out me.

I liked college, and Indydebi......I loved my night classes because a lot of "non-traditional" students would attend after their full time jobs. The professors seemed to re-act to them different and thus, provide a different atmosphere for learning. I preferred it much more than learning with the "kids". It was less intimidating to me. The "nontraditonal students" were so driven and just didn't have time for the bs.

Funny, cuz...when I got out of college, I landed smack dab into a truck load of bs. Every corner I turned, somebody was carrying a platter of it. And, ocassionally, it had my name on it. So, yup, I'm poor again. Taking care of an elderly family member, being "house-girl" at home again, AND building an online cookie biz that will someday blow the socks off Mrs. Fields. I'm not silly enough to think I won't encounter bs in this industry. But, this way, I'm only limited by me. And, thankfully, I completely understand any bs I may or may not dish out to myself!!! Ha ha ha...

I'm taking small but steady steps. I know I can do it, I just have to be persistant. And, everytime I get exhausted and think I just can't go on.....I picture my little home in the woods with a pond. I'll stay up all night for that.....

CeeTee Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #21 of 28
Originally Posted by EvMarie

So, yup, I'm poor again. Taking care of an elderly family member, being "house-girl" at home again, AND building an online cookie biz that will someday blow the socks off Mrs. Fields.

I have to give props for you doing that. My sister walked away from a full-time job managing a boutique in San Francisco to move back home and be a live-in, non-paid caretaker for my parents four years ago. She's 32 now and has essentially put her life on hold in order to do this. It's not easy, and I have nothing but respect for those who do this.

EvMarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm
post #22 of 28

Oh boy - is it emotionally taxing! Hence, the small steady steps with my cookie venture. I just couldn't handle the thought of making him leave his home. He has done so much for everyone in the family. I figured...since life presented me a "hole" I'd use it to help him. And, in the process the time away from the corporate three ring circus has done me some good. A bit of soul searching I'd say....

But, I do love the cookies I make. So, all of these little steps will add up soon I'm sure. Just being faithful and patient. icon_smile.gif

It's a struggle, but I do think he appreciates it. And, that makes it worth it.

Jayde Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #23 of 28

Originally Posted by Jayde

Even tho' I'm just tired all the time .... I really do look forward to going in every day! thumbs_up.gif

I am glad you are liking it. I am not sick of cakes, I just got to the point where the bakery couldnt offer me full time or benefits, and I am getting sick and tired of darn near running the place, but not reaping any of the benefits.

I dont really want to open my own place, so I decided to go back to school for a degree in teaching as well, but elementary ed. I have 1 year down and I feel old next to all of the youngins too and I am only 27! Its really hard sometimes and I am exhausted all the time, but I am also so proud of myself too. I honestly did not think that I would do well at this, but I am. I have a 4.0 for three semesters running now! I have even been approached by Continuing Education about teaching some fondant classes as adjunct faculty! So things are looking up, I just still feel like its going to be a loooong road ahead of me.

I am really happy that you are doing well, kudos to you for having the courage to go back, because I struggled with it for a long time.

Nicolekristiner Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:00pm
post #24 of 28

Im a hobbies and I use the money I make during my drill weekend in the National Guard to help pay for my new addiction. But it is hard just starting out. i want to jump into all of these great ideas but i feel like i have to keep spending all this money to get all of the supplies that i need for these cakes

JayyBugg Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #25 of 28

im only 18 and was doing basic college not knowing which way to go spending the extra money i had making cakes in my spare time. so i decided to follow what i love and now go to the le cordon bleu baking division. get to do what i love as my main focus icon_biggrin.gif

melamel Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:25am
post #26 of 28

Oh wow I haven't been on CC for a long time! Finals are over now and boy does it feel good to be back!

@Ambria - good for you, following what you love! Sometimes I wish I could just drop everything I'm doing as a Biology major and head straight for the cake business, but seeing as I'm halfway to medical school and with early acceptance (Thank God!) I don't think I could switch gears as easily. So for now until I retire as a doctor, I will most likely remain a hobbyist icon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:55am
post #27 of 28

i hear you! lol. im studying from home atm, cert. 4 in fitness, then using that to go to university next year (to do history teaching=)). Also a single mummy to a beautiful baby boy. =)

i have a severe cc addiction.. lol. equipment and ingredients are so expensive.. so im always look for the "cheap fix" ie, instead of buying gumpaste modeling tools.. i may or may not have gotten a cheap manicure set and used the tools in that.... =/

LaBoulangerie Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:13am
post #28 of 28

Lack of funds inspires creativity! I am definitely not your traditional cake decorator... I find things to replace certain tools to save money all the time. My poor Exacto knife is my lifesaver!

So, I have decided on culinary school! I currently go to college with a major in French and I am moving to France for a year in August, where I already have cake orders waiting on me... goodness. In June 2011, I return and complete my senior year and graduate, YAY! Then, it is back to France to teach English for a couple years then culinary school there! Socialized education is amazing! $300/year for tuition compared to $20,000-40,000 here... Snaps for France!

Quote by @%username% on %date%