Newbi Question: Carved Cakes With Or Without Cake Boards

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 8:40pm by leily

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I hope someone can help me because I am a bit confused regarding support for carved cakes. So far I have been carving mine after they have been torted,filled, and chilled, however I have only made smaller cakes up to this point, but now I would like to carve taller cakes. I've read you should use a cake board support for every 4 inches of cake, but how can I carve the cakes with cake boards in place? I'm afraid if I do the carving before filling, the cakes won't have the correct shape again once I add the filling and the cake boards. I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks!
Debi

2 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 3

I just cut the cakeboard to the approximate size. You can guage it. For example, f you're carving stacked 6 inch cakes and are using a 6 inch cake circle, and know it will be narrower around the cakeboard, just trim it a bit. It doesn't have to be exact. I've even pulled it out and trimmed. HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

for the carved cakes I have done I have stacked them while frozen and started to carve as is. Then I unstack (i cut a line from top to bottom so I have a spot to line them all back up in the same spot) and add filling, boards, and dowels.

I don't like to carve before filling because sometimes I dont' know where my carving is going to end and I carve away the buttercream damn. Now if it's only buttercream or something else of a thicker consistency then I will stack and carve with the filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%