Cracking Fondant Figures Will Be The Death Of Me!

Decorating By LadyinaRedApron Updated 23 Feb 2014 , 4:02am by acakedecorator

LadyinaRedApron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyinaRedApron Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:44am
post #1 of 15

I'm getting SO frustrated! icon_cry.gif

I'm new to molding with fondant and gumpaste. I'm trying to make some figures and I cannot for the life of me get rid of the cracks. I'm using fondant that I colored myself. I rolled my fondant into seamless balls but from there it cracks as I mold it into other shapes. Are there any tips out there to help me? Would it be easier to use original white fondant and then "paint" it with gel colors?

I'm wanting to get these done before I have to put them on the cake I need to make in 2 weeks.

Any help is appreciated... GREATLY!

TIA!

14 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:10am
post #2 of 15

I can sympathize- I have experienced the cracking gumpaste/fondant too. Even in plain white. When I tried plain fondant without gumpaste, however, the figures got shorter and fatter all by themselves. If anyone around here has a fix, I would be interested in hearing it myself. I was thinking of rubbing RI into the cracks before I paint what I have sitting in there hardening now, but I don't know if it will work.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:54am
post #3 of 15

I personally use Marshmallow Rolled Buttercream Fondant with Tylose added for strength. I have no problem adding color to my fondant & I just kneed it into the fondant unless I have a big batch of colored fondant to do & then I add the color with the melted marshmallows. If your fondant/gumpaste is cracking, add some shortening to your fingers & work it into your fondant/gumpaste...this always works. Also, keep your fondant/gumpaste covered until you are ready to use it to help prevent it from drying out. HTH~~~

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:20am
post #4 of 15

I have been playing around with making fondant/gumpaste figures for several months now and the best thing I can tell you is to keep Crisco on your hands. My best results so far have been with Wilton's (nasty tasting stuff) fondant and gumpaste 50/50. I tried Satin Ice and it stayed too soft for me. I have very warm hands usually and maybe this helps me also??

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:27am
post #5 of 15

I agree with butterpatty, fondant & gumpaste should be used 50-50. Also hand should be well greased using crisco. that helps a lot.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:01am
post #6 of 15

I prefer MMF with tylose, and I always microwave my pieces for a few seconds (15 or less, depending on size) before I start modeling w/ them.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:15am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I prefer MMF with tylose, and I always microwave my pieces for a few seconds (15 or less, depending on size) before I start modeling w/ them.

I agree with ^^^^ I find that when it's nukked (sp?) I can shape it better without any cracks.... another thing you need to keep in mind.... fondant/gumpaste is not like clay as to where you can for example mold the hand and then glue it to the arm and work the seams to the point where u ca't see them... it just wont happen that's why when modeling with sugar paste you have to make the whole shape with one piece....

I find that when I am modeling a figure and if I try to shape in making a sharp adjustment (I guess that's how I can say it) where you make a like/crack on the paste... that's it... u have to start over because you won't be able to smooth that line/crack.. the more u try the worst it will get...

I did one where I left it to dry and wasn't well supported and in the morning it had a big hole... I "spackled" it with RI and then took a piece of the 50-50 paste..added water to make it gooey and patch it that way.... u couldn't see the "fix" at all....

hth icon_smile.gif

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:31am
post #8 of 15

I learnt the best tricks in a course recently as I was having the same problems... Any part of the figurine that provides support (ie... the body, legs) must have tylose added to the fondant so it can dry hard... Leave it to dry for a little before adding other parts. Heads should also have a little bit of tylose to help keep their shape. Use chrisco (or Copha in other countries) on your hands when modelling... if a crack appears... use more. And for any part of the figurine that DOESN'T provide support (ie arms, hands, clothes etc) then just use fondant.. with no tylose. They will dry hard eventually and still keep their shape... without cracking. Always warm your fondant/gumpaste up in your hands for a bit before modelling, too. I'm so much better at it now I've learnt these tricks.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 15

I usually prefer to make my figures out of chocolate paste, I find it much easier to work with and much more forgiving than fondant. just something to consider.

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 15

I will be making some figures soon that need to stand. How much Tylose should I add to my fondant?

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 15

I always add some crisco to the ball piece I am working with and let it dry before adding other parts. Also keep your hands well greased too.

nikkigladney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkigladney Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 15

what is MMF?

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 1:36am
post #13 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkigladney 

what is MMF?

Marshmallow Fondant

nikkigladney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkigladney Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 3:49am
post #14 of 15

AOh ok Lol.com...duh...thanks

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 4:02am
post #15 of 15

Not a problem! I had no idea what it was when I first joined Cake Central, either. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%