Best Way To Get These Sharp Edges With Fondant?

Decorating By Jessica1817 Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm by cloetzu

Jessica1817 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 17

Anyone done a cake like this before? I know I will have to put the fondant on as panels, but is there a special technique that is helpful (starting with the top or sides, does the fondant have to partially dry first, etc)? The bride doesn't want the leaf details, but I want to make sure the fondant edges look this sharp. Thanks!!!
LL

16 replies
emrldsky Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 17

If you put the fondant on as panels, you'll have seams. However, if you cover the cake with ganache, it'll stiffen enough to give the sharp edges. Sharon Zambito shows this technique in her Topsy Turvy DVD, and it would definitely produce those sharp, crisp corners.

HTH!

robyndmy Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 17

I can't chime in, because I haven't done a square cake yet... but I am very curious where you found this picture, it's gorgeous!

Bunsen Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #4 of 17

Agree, ganache is the way forward - you can get really sharp edges that way - check out www.planetcake.com.au they do all their cakes with ganache and it really shows how flawless you can get!

eccl1-12 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:06am
post #5 of 17

It looks like RI to me... I didn't know you could do that with fondant

Jessica1817 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 17

The only ganache I've used is a whipped ganache, and it didn't set very stiff. Do you have a recipe you recommend? Also, with the ganache how long can it stay out without refrigeration? I will be setting it up quite a few hours before it will be served.
robyndmy--A bride passed this along. I'm not sure who the baker is but I believe she found it on the Knot.

Thanks!!

robyndmy Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 17

Ahh, I thought it looked a little Knot-ish icon_biggrin.gif

Bunsen Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1817

The only ganache I've used is a whipped ganache, and it didn't set very stiff. Do you have a recipe you recommend? Also, with the ganache how long can it stay out without refrigeration? I will be setting it up quite a few hours before it will be served.
robyndmy--A bride passed this along. I'm not sure who the baker is but I believe she found it on the Knot.

Thanks!!

For dark chocolate use 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream, bring the cream to the boil then pour over chocolate, leave for 5 minutes then stir until smooth. Leave overnight to set. For white or milk chocolate use 3 parts choc to 1 part cream. This type of ganache doesn't need to be refrigerated. There are a couple of threads on ganache that contain a lot of useful info - I suggest reading those before you start - also Rylan has a link to a tutorial in his signature which is really helpful.

Jessica1817 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #9 of 17

Bunsen--thanks for the recipe, it is pretty close to mine. This may seem like a dumb question, but are you pouring the ganache over the cake or spreading it after it has set? I've only seen ganache spread when you beat it after it has chilled.

cakesrock Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #10 of 17
cupcake_cutie Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #11 of 17

Wow, I never thought that covering cakes with ganache would get such sharp edges. I'm definitely going to try it.

dalis4joe Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #12 of 17

I saw a tut where they cut the fondant to size... fridge it to set... then place it on the cake... then they used RI to fill in the corners....

hth

Bunsen Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1817

Bunsen--thanks for the recipe, it is pretty close to mine. This may seem like a dumb question, but are you pouring the ganache over the cake or spreading it after it has set? I've only seen ganache spread when you beat it after it has chilled.

Wait for it to set up so the consistency is like peanut butter (I let it sit overnight) then spread it on. Use a metal bench scraper heated in hot water then dried to scrap off the excess and leave a perfectly flat, smooth surface.

Jessica1817 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #14 of 17

Awesome, thanks for the tips and links!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cloetzu Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #15 of 17

thanks for explaining this! I was wondering how to smooth the ganache! but if the ganache is set how does the fondant stick to it?

Bunsen Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:20am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu

thanks for explaining this! I was wondering how to smooth the ganache! but if the ganache is set how does the fondant stick to it?

Lightly mist/brush with water or brush on a syrup made with equal parts boiled water and apricot jam/jelly - either works.

cloetzu Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 17

ahhhh - okay so that is what the fondant 'sticks' to...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%